1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

THE INTERVIEW. Answer the Last Question and Ask Yours.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Siaji, Aug 2, 2008.

1. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Jealous!!

ShowerGel likes this.
  2. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Oh thanx Lards!

I'd choose Japanese because I had lovely Japanese friend and her English was perfect. - she was married to an American though. I would choose it just because of her.

Watercress from USA is sold every winter in our supermarkets. What do you think of this?

3. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

It's only the same as Spanish tomatoes, green beans from Kenya or Egyptian strawberries. I once saw blackberries from Peru!! But frankly it's daft and environmentally unsound.

I like to buy local/in season, but this isn't always possible. I saw some amazing loal cauliflowers yesterday so fancy making a nice cauliflower cheese with one of those. Things are always better when they're local. You can go and pick your own watercress if you know where to look... I do like a bit of foraging for jam making later in the year.

Have you booked a holiday for this year? Where and Why?

4. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

It depends what you mean by "booked a holiday".

I'm walking across the Highlands on the TGO Challenge in May (two weeks of walking by myself in the wilds of Scotland ... absolute bliss!!), but I've hardly booked anything (other than my sleeper berth to get to my starting point) because I shall be stopping at bothies most nights.

Do you grow anything to eat? If so, what?

5. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

No. Mr Lardy had an allotment unitl a couple of years back, and grew most of our veg but he gave it up as he could no longer spare enough time to do the work properly.. He grew onions, spuds, courgettesm beans, radishes, beetroot, chard, parsnips etc

Where do you do most of your grocery shopping and why do you do it there?

6. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I buy all my vege from a cheap organic grown just down the road market stall because its fresh and tastes lovely and has no cr ap on it and has not been flown here (crazy) and other stuff from Supermarkets and the Indian shop.

Same question.

7. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

My local Co-op, because despite its lack of choice and high prices it has a good ethical policy, and is small enough for my mom to do her own shopping without having to stop and rest on the way round.

What are you wearing?

8. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Thick socks rolled down, a white fleece, vest and cut off leggings. These are my home comfort clothes and a reminder of summer - just round the corner...

What's on your bedside table?

9. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Alarm clock, Bible and small wooden cross, the book I'm currently reading.

How often do you wash your hair?

10. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Usually every day. If I don't it means there's something wrong which is not usually immediately apparent to moi...:(

Are you shocked its the end of January - please give details with your answer.

11. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Well, not really because it feels like the Christmas holidays were about 5 years ago, so the end of Jan fells about right.

What are you going to have for your tea?

12. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Soon be half term - hooray - yipee - 5 years is too long without a rest.

I'm having a chicken and lettuce sandwich which was supposed to be for dinner but I didn't have time to cook the chicken so am having it for tea. For dinner I had my tea which was already in the fridge - boiled vege in fried onion sauce with Albacore tuna from a tin - Tesco Finest and delicious.

What kind of cook are you?

13. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I am very much a "Let's have a jacket spud n beans" kind of gal. I am not at all creative in the kitchen, and can't be arsed faffing about when Tesco can do it for me.

Same question right back at you, 'cos I can't be arsed to think of a new one :D

14. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I just do things like bung the organic vege from the market into a pan and mix them up with a bit o' cheese or tuna then eat. Or I might make them into a quick curry with curry powder and a can of coconut milk and a few beans.
    Usually make enough to last a couple of days.
    For breakfast I have an egg and tomato sandwich or sometimes chicken.
    I always have the fruit bowl full and it empties quick.
    Soooooo lazy.
    Sometimes I try harder but it never lasts and if I read a recipe I always think 'what is the point?' and they never contain enough vege.

If yo could treat yourself to something right now for approx £20 what would it be and why?

15. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I have seen a lovely scarf in the Traidcraft catalogue. It's £18. I was going to buy it, and your question has made me realise that I must do so.

scarf.jpg

Do you have a separate Winter/Summer wardrobe, or do you just wear the same thing all year round?

ShowerGel likes this.
  16. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Thanx lards. I want one too. Buy it asap. Never put off 'till tomorrow what you can easily do today.
    Make hay while the sun shines.

Separate.
    Summer is sleeveless everything and shorts - not really short shorts though - and cut off leggings with summery trainers and winter is long trousers with tops, jumpers, jackets, scarf and gloves with wintery black trainers - one pair waterproof lined. The trainers are all the same but different colours.

I put the summer stuff away in about October and head for the charity shop with stuff I've gone off. Out comes the winter stuff and I usually buy a new jacket or maybe a couple and a few more items. Not much though.

Soon I will cheer and put all the winter stuff away and head for the charity shop again with a large bag!
    I just love it when the summer stuff arrives in the shops (after all that Christmas c r ap) together with the snowdrops and aconites outside.

Hooray!

List your 5 favourite vege and how you like to serve them and as a P.S state the one vege you cannot bear to eat.

17. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Ok. This is difficult as I love my veg.

Cabbage - steamed, rough chopped with small **** of butter served with a sprinkling of ground walnuts and (usually) chicken breast.

Brussels sprouts - steamed, served plain with traditional roast dinner

Fennel - raw- chopped fine, sprinkled on any salad combinations.

Garlic - sweated until soft cooked in with casseroles, sauces, curries, pasta dishes. (ok. I'd have it with anything really).

Sweet potatoes - mashed as comfort food served with lamb shank done in slow cooker until falling apart.

P.S. Courgettes - ugh!

You are going on a foreign holiday, when and how do you pack your suitcase and as a P.S. what are you most likely to forget.

18. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Get everything washed and laid out. Write a list of everything I will pack. As I pack cross each item off.

I once forgot all my trousers and had to wear the one pair for a week. G od only knows how that happened!

Same question

peggylu likes this.
  19. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I tend to pack a bit at a time over the course of a week. I'm most likely to forget basic toiletries, but they are easy to buy at the other end so that's not too much of a trauma.

Do you follow a specific diet/are you conscious of what you are eating or do you eat what you like, when you like and never give it a moment's thought?

peggylu likes this.
  20. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Somewhere in between.

I keep telling myself that when I am on my PGCE I must observe a strict weekly schedule so that of my 7 main meals for the week I will have one based around each of:

cow
    pig
    sheep
    game
    non-game bird
    fish
    offal

I doubt I shall stick to it ... but just having it as a "game plan" will help to maintain the appropriate variety and balance in my diet.

I hope.

Do you like to include "unusual" meats in your diet (e.g. goat; ostrich; buffalo; elk) or do you just stick to the staples of beef, lamb, pork and chicken?