1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

THE INTERVIEW. Answer the Last Question and Ask Yours.

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Siaji, Aug 2, 2008.

1. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

NewToTeachingOldToMaths Lead commenter

Um ... I plan to take early retirement later this year and retrain for a second career ... as a teacher. (If I can get a wretched ITT place ... which his the big hurdle right now.)

If you'd known then what you know now, what would you have done differently??

2. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I've already packed up and my plan is to varnish this table again as I did it a couple of days ago (as well as decorating this whole room (which looks great)) and it feels horrible. Before everything smoothly glided on it and now everything sticks. I will sand it down to its bare nothingness and then google what to do. Or maybe before I sand it.
    My best plan is to live in the day. This was very hard before.
    Whoops sorry - answered wrong question.

I would have been a hairdresser and not gone near my ex with a barge pole before I even spoke to him. Had different parents who taught me the ideal way to behave and be.

Same question

3. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

I'd have learnt how to revise better and done better in my gcses (didn't realise this far down the line people would still want to know!). If I'd known the last conversation I had with my brother was the last conversation I'd have made more of an effort (but it takes two!).Can't think of much else.

Same question.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  4. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I wouldn't have wasted my time yoyo dieting. The first time I lost a lot of weight I wish I had kept it off!

Do you read your horoscope?

5. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

No. nonsense.

Do you?

6. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

No, I agree it's a load of codswallop.

Do you do the Lottery/buy scratchcards etc?

7. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

No - too much effort.

How would you describe you family?

8. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Supportive, loving, slightly bonkers.

How much of a boring book would you read before giving up on it?

9. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

I would know normally by the end of the 1st page but struggle on in hope to about page 6 or, if I think there may be a slight chance, to page 10 and then disappointment sets in and I begin to fight against a severe bout of debilitating depression before heading to the library to begin all over again with another pile of hopefuls.

Same question

10. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I would give it 2 chapters at most (if they're short ones).

How often do you use your local library?

11. asnac

asnac Established commenter

About once every two months, but only for school books.

When, if ever, did you last get a parking ticket?

12. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

Only ever had two.

Once when my parents and I went to see my brother in Oxford in 1986. We'd got a table booked at a restaurant, and were having difficulty finding anywhere to park. I was driving, and as I drove up a long line of parked cars, the third one from the front pulled out. So I gratefully grabbed the now vacated place, and we went to lunch.

When we returned, a traffic warden was working his way along the line of parked cars, ticketing every single one of them, and had got as far as the second from the front ...

The other was much more recent. The road by our paddocks has double yellows which make no sense at all. There is no hazard if people park there. There has never been any sign of any enforcement. We have always parked there for convenience. A few weeks back, we had both driven to the paddocks independently, as we had other chores to attend to ... and somebody came along and ticketed us both!!

Have you ever had to do a speed awareness course?

13. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

No.

Can you ride a bike?

14. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

Yes

Can you ride a unicycle. If so, when and where did you learn?

15. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

No.

Have you ever sat on an ants nest and if no why not and if yes what happened?

16. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I sat quite near one on a family picnic when I was about 8 or 9. We had to quickly find another spot to eat our scrambled egg sandwiches. Not as traumatic as when the boy next door disturbed a wasp nest and they swarmed. My neighbour handed me the 6 month old baby and I had to run to the house while she tried to protect her 3 year old from multiple stings. Nasty.

What is your most traumatic spider incident?

17. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

When we first shared a house we swapped sides of the bed. I woke up in the middle of the night convinced there was a spider over the bed. MrF pretended to shoo it away, this wasn't good enough. I made him get out of bed and open the window. It was actually a dream catcher.

Have you ever seen a snake in the wild? What? Where?

18. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

Many times freckle.
    Just adders and grass snakes all over the place. I spend hours walking about. Or at least I have since the children left home and I stopped working. Before I would walk to work/to collect kids/go to the supermarket/ go to open evenings to listen to other teachers say 'could do better' or to tell parents 'could do better'..
    Now I walk to nowhere in particular and take photos of blossoms/listen to The Archers/Greg James Omnibus (reminds me not to get ancient) or a few tunes in Spotify. If no one's in sight I may sing aloud.

That's a terrible story lards.

Where would you like to be this moment?

19. NewToTeachingOldToMaths

Sitting at the summit of Cir Mhor in glorious sunshine, gazing clean across the azure waters of the Firth of Clyde and the flat lowlands of Bute towards the Arrochar Alps.

*sighs*

Roll on summer ...

If you could have a two week, all-expenses-paid holiday anywhere in the world ... where would you choose to go?

20. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Canada. I have been twice, both times to Toronto/Niagara. The first time was a week long stay in February- the snow was unbelievable! And the second time was in August- the contrasts in the seasons was astonishing. I would love to see more of the country.

If you could master another language, which one would you choose and why?