1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Independent Support Group - open to all by mac64

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mac64, Sep 14, 2008.

1. mac64

mac64 New commenter

Our parents would accept this in our nursery as it's run in way where each has responsibility for agroup of children but although my TA and I work as closely together she would only repeat something I've said or steer them towards me. AS an ex-TA from a very long time ago, I did the same and never felt uncomfortable with this. There are a few parents within our setting who would find it strange to have the TA make comments and one or two who complai if a TA reads every day with a child rather than mainly with a teacher. If someone is giving a false impression then they have to stop making comments. Not sure how I would handle this other than say guide towards me or quote me. The buck stops with the teacher (good and bad). My TA attends Parent Consultations and as amny such meetings but she would not want to wear my shoes unless she had no choice and even then she generally directs them all to me and will share the discussion with me and input where necessary.

ALSO CONGRATUALTIONS SNJ13 [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Thanks mac; that was useful.

3. Thanks Hedda and Mac!

4. Pow

Pow

Thank you Mac, what will you put into your statement?.I would love to see your photos.

5. mac64

mac64 New commenter

Statement in brackets at the end of each subject EY section: This policy will be undergo further review (summer 2009) in response to the introduction of the EYFS (September 2008).

I've uploaded a jpeg of a document for you. Not very clear but hopefully shows all the relenvant buts. I'll leave the jpeg for today and delete/remove it tonight.

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6007716

6. mac64

mac64 New commenter

TTS. I'm sure that many have great resources which cost nothing or found locally. We hav tried many of these (tyres logs etc) but they were removed years ago due to accidents etc. Also our SMT and Govs etc don't want an 'untidy' look. TTS is one of the companies which cuaht quickly to the outdor bug and we've found them to be mid range when it comes to prices and great service.

http://www.tts-group.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?cid=4

7. Pow

Pow

sorry to be a nuisance but how do I access the document?I Also I love the TTS catelogue, we have compiled a wish list from it.

8. mac64

mac64 New commenter

It's a jpeg. Download it. I'll give you my email address and I hope I can send the document. Check your TES inbox asap.

9. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/337388.aspx
    There is a query on the INDE forum regarding ratios in Reception.
    Initially they were 1:13 in Inde schools even with QTS in situ.
    I think that that Indess were then given parity with maintained 1:30 but the EYFS document May 2008 still says 1:13.

Anybody know where we can find out for certain

10. http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2008/uksi_20081953_en_1
    see 3c 5 (a)
    I think that's it!

11. celestine
    Thank you but I could not get the link to work. Would you be kind enough to try again.
    Thanks

12. I've just checked and copied it into search and it worked - I'm on Mozilla. Or try here

http://www.isi.net/doc/highlights/School_TI_highlights_0908.pdf
    p9 - with link to amendments.

13. http://www.isc.co.uk/publication_8_0_0_31_458.htm#eyfs
    Whilst looking for information on ratios I cam across the above bulletin from isc. Scroll down to the one entitleed Early Years.

I don't know how recent the is but it really captures some of the difficulties that some Independent schools have with some LA policing re EYFS/ getting the ci balance right/ profile/ evidence and conflicts of ethos. It is an interesting read.

14. Hi! I'm another Indie Rec teacher struggling to come to terms with everything. Even after a year I still feel like I'm floundering, although the parents have been very positive. We had overestimated their expectations for a 'formal' approach, being fuelled by a traditional head.
    Anyone come up with a weekly planning format they are happy with?

15. byjingo

byjingo New commenter

Some fascinating reading, which went some way to reassuring me. Thanks for the link, Hedda.

16. boatmanco

boatmanco New commenter

Hi everyone

I hope everyone is ok after starting back this term! I am shattered it has to be said! 2 weeks in and I have worked 60 hours both weeks...cant be good!
    Am now Head of Pre-Prep and feel I am on a steep learning curve,,,,,registers, policies, meetings, timetables and ...oh my class! Who are lovely!
    Have a great term everyone!
    x

17. boatmanco

Well done on promotion
    There are a couple of threads on the Inde forum which might interest you. EY Colleagues seeking advice- take a look. Now youare SMT you might have access to more information and could advise.

18. boatmanco

boatmanco New commenter

Thanks Hedda.
    How are you doing? Hope you dont mind me asking....
    Have you 3 hour vouchers where you are? If so, or if still 2 1/2, are they Flexible throughout the day or do you offer a session for the vouchers?
    Thanks inadvance!
    x

19. Well- we could do with a few more children and HT is cutting down on support staff hours, but in fairness we were generously staffed.

We still have funding based on 2 and half hours of funding per day in my neck of the woods, which I think we interpret as 12 and a half hours a week.
    I leave this all to Mrs Bursar. Our morning session runs for 3 and half hours plus lunch and our afternoon session is 2 and half with lunch.
    How they do the paperwork I have no idea.
    Ir was headcount day from he LEA last week.
    Children attend for various combinations p/t time according to preference but some attend fulldays, some attend part time every day. some p/t time on some days and some full time on some days.

What do you do?