1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Importance of Teachers

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Scintillant, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

https://disidealist.wordpress.com/2...e-of-teachers-great-irony-by-policy-exchange/

An excellent blog post on the recruitment and retention crisis from the Disidealist - A TEACHER!

Entertaining but also infuriating

Sometimes, people you might not see eye-to-eye with, make it easy. Not only do they paint a target on themselves, but they buy a gun, load it, hand it over to you after delivering a lecture on how to use it, and then take a single step backwards to await the inevitable. So let me say this : this document is called “The Importance ofTeachers“. It is about a teacher shortage crisis. It purports to discuss both recruitment and retention of teachers.

There is not a single contributor who is a teacher. Yes, that’s right, not one.

Apart from think-tanker Jonathan Simons, the author, there are : two university academics; three Price Waterhouse consultants; one person from the headteacher (not the teacher) union; two execs from private businesses selling services to the education “market”; two executives from Multi-Academy Trusts; one headteacher with a Teaching Schools Council presence; and, inevitably, an executive from Teach First.

No teachers. Not one. In 98 pages and 11 essays about recruitment and retention of teachers, there isn’t a single practising teacher.

And so it goes....

delnon, TCSC47, cissy3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Ode to Teaching

workload, workload, workload, workload,
    workload, workload, workload,
    workload, workload,
    workload,workload,
    workload, workload,workload

delnon likes this.
  3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

and especially at secondary,
    behaviour, behaviour, behaviour

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Teachers are commodities, no longer people.
    We are the Untermensch.:(

delnon likes this.
  5. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Thank you for the interesting thread. The blog was great. Pithy and to the point. I have come up with a thought about this too. Since I've left the classroom I have rekindled my ability to do some thinking and I rather enjoy it;).
    I think that the reason that not one of the contributors was a teacher, was that actually, they don't want to hear what we have to say. If they asked for our thoughts, opinions and our feelings, they may have to take us seriously, and lets face it, that isn't going to happen.

I also think (there I go again!) that the opinions of our families, partners, and children should be listened to. My partner was at the receiving end of the results of my ill health because of the horrendous experience I was subjected to from a school. This happened because I had the audacity to follow a harassment and bullying case against my employer, which nearly destroyed me, and did destroy my career

delnon, wanet, TCSC47 and 1 other person like this.
  6. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Thanks for making me aware of this blog, Scint. Excellent blog!

I would also like to echo Cal.
    My biggest regret, shame, and anger from teaching came from what my wife and family had to go through!

Scintillant likes this.
  7. Caligraphy

Caligraphy Occasional commenter

Bless you TCS...mine too. It's given me a lump in my throat.

8. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

And I still can't buy any whitewash anywhere... :(