1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

the importance of a Child-Centred approach

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Son of a Parson, Apr 11, 2008.

1. It is eventually to replace the teacher with a teaching assistant because if a child is choosing what to learn why would you need a teacher?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Is it an assignment question?

3. No, i am going to be asked about it at my PGCE interview. I have no idea how to answer it

4. Msz

child-centred approach to education argues that the school should be fitted to the needs of the child and not the child to the school. Rousseau is credited with being founder of the approach.

You can say things like
    it creates a closer match between the child and the curriculum
    builds self esteem and positive attitudes
    increases motivation to learn
    putting children at the centre of learning
    link with ECM

5. Thanks

Have you got any examples of child centred practice?

Thanks

6. All children can access the curriculum at thier own level.
    Curriculum access is not dependent on the child fitting thee system but the system fitting the child.
    Child can access what they are really interested in and therefore excel in this area whilst being supported in less motivating elements.
    The child's natural desire to explore, learn and achieve is fostered (not forced into submission into the education system) and therefore they do achieve.
    etc....

7. Is child centred practice happening in settings now?
    At what age is it most happening?

8. Msz

In my school from 3-11 year olds soon to be 0-11

9. Child-centred learning is also INCLUSIVE. Therefore, all chn are given an opportunity to learn at their own level and build on prior knowledge.
    Think ... disability/EAL/Special Needs/Gifted and Talented.
    Child-centrednes allows learning opportunities that suit the needs of the child and does not restrict them to what the teacher/school has decided they will offer.

10. IF this is what is really meant by child-centred education, then I'm dead against it.

It smacks of a middle-class, paternalistic cop-out which, far from INCLUDING children, abandons them when they need it most.

It de-skills teachers, and in fact, portrays any adult who does any form of teaching as oppressive and restrictive.

As defined by the above posters, it is simply, an abdication of our duty of care to the very children supposed to be at the centre of things.

11. 'All children can access the curriculum at thier own level'. you mean coast

12. Or Excel!?!