1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The IfL: why should we keep it in business?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Marley811, Feb 9, 2011.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

cardoon
    No, I am still here and have been all the time, I just cannot recall how I got roped into compulsory membership. When I first joined it was voluntary and my College paid the fees it changed to compulsary membership without my noticing that is all. I cannot remember being told it was compulsory. I blame me for that, I was not paying attention.

2. A law was passed in Parliament in 2007 which obliged FE teachers in England to belong to the IfL. You haven't been paying attention for five years!

3. You're a little out of date on this one.
    I don't think you've been keeping up with events.

4. For those who have lost touch of what's happening here it is in a nutshell:

In 2003 the IfL, a Private Company, was formed and membership was voluntary. During this period it's maximum membership total was in the region of 4,000.

In 2007 it became mandatory that effectively all FE trainers/teachers become members of IfL. During this period it had a membership in excess of 200,000 and the annual fees of £32 were paid by government. But in 2011 the government subsidy was stopped and IfL decided to charge a higher fee of £68 for membership.

However the majority of FE's professionals refused to join, leaving IfL with a minority (currently around 85,000), forcing a government enquiry which recommended, amongst other things in its interim report of March 2012, that the law requiring mandatory membership of IfL be revoked and IfL revert to being a voluntary organisation, which it promptly decided to do as of September 2012. N.B. The full report led by Lord Lingfield; 'Professionalism in Further Education' is due to be published some time this month, July 2012.

If you want to bone up on significant events leading up to the current situation, I suggest you read the following extremely well referenced view of FE professionalism over the last ten years:

http://www.huckfield.com/blog/fe-professionalism-you-couldnt-make-it-up-if-you-tried/

5. 2002
    £30
    Lingfield isn't reporting in July now
    Huckfield is littered with the same and more mistakes - are you one and the same?

6. IfL members, working in a diverse range of provider
    environments – including adult and community learning, FE colleges,
    work-based learning, the armed services, voluntary and community
    learning, sixth-form colleges, public services and offender learning –validate the view that revoking the 2007 regulations relating to initial
    teacher education is wrong. All
    the qualitative evidence collected shows
    the unequivocal benefits and value attached to initial teacher qualifications
    in enabling young and adult learners to receive high-quality teaching
    and training.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL IfL CHAPTER!!!

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

cardoon
    "A law was passed in Parliament in 2007 which obliged FE teachers in
    England to belong to the IfL. You haven't been paying attention for five
    years! "
    Indeed I have not, probably because my College paid the fees.
    IFL is a rubber stamping exercise and as such I have a tendancy to ignore it.
    I do not need a bunch of people I have never worked with and who do not know me, to tell me I can now legally teach. 1984 was some time ago................................

8. Actually, the state paid your fees until April 2011. After that date, payment of fees depended on the decisions of individual colleges - some paid the fees for their staff, others did not. In theory, the regulations about IfL membership remain in place until September 2012.
    Notwithstanding your tendency to ignore the IfL, I put forward the view that teachers ought to keep themselves informed about matters pertaining to their professional status, even if one does not like them.

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

cardoon:
    You obviously believe in IFL as is your right to do so.
    I do not believe IFL or any subsequent Government orchestrated body is truly professional.
    I prefer to be associated with 'Learned Institutions' (by Royal Charter) one of which I am a long standing member with conferred professional status as a right, owing to such membership, such membership and professional recognition is legal both in the UK, Europe and Internationally, for my field of occupation.
    One might say by observation that College Lecturers and School teachers tend to confer professional status on themselves through perceived notions of high status rather than through a Learned body.
    I prefer the tradition of academic excellence exemplified through appropriate Institutions as above.

10. Not at all the case, as my opening post to this thread last year will show.

11. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Then we agree.

Have good weekend.

12. FE teaching should never be confused with compulsory education. As an FE Lecturer I have always viewed the IFL as turning FE into a self important closed shop imposing extra work on folk who have enough to do already. The professional argument does not stack up, I Value and take pride in my IET membership which is actually far more relevent to my remaining current with the new technologies and industry standards that I teach daily. not some petty organisation that insists on so many hours CPD which leave colleges holding pointless teaching days and wasting more of my precious time. The whole ethos of FE has been degraded from what it did best, which was to employ lecturers who have worked in industry and know the jobs their students will undertake pass on experience that no amount of IFL membership can give, understand what the employer needs and thus provide a competent knowledgeable work force. You may argue that the IFL keeps you upto date with current teaching practices, those same practices that blow like the wind one direction one day another the next, I have had countless apprentices in the past I know how to get the best out of them and it shows in honest pass rates, (Oh yes shock horror we have to get them all through at all cost) Now heres the rub in my experience the level of learner ability that I am presented with is falling, to the point where they cannot apply simple maths and I have just two yrs to get them upto speed following 11yrs that have failed them.Anyway thats my feelings on the subject.

13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

William,
    You have encapsulated the feelings of most Engineering Lecturers I have known both as colleagues and then as teaching members of my department during the 30 years I spent up to now in FE.
    You rightly contend that FE is some distance away from the compulsory education ethos. Long may that continue.
    FE has managed very well over the last 70 or so years in providing the service you describe very clearly above.
    Learner ability/motivation has become an increasingly troublesome issue both in Mathematics and in the sciences for the last 15 to 20 years of slow decline.
    IFL activities do nothing to address those real issues, instead they adopt a peripheral stance that serves no valid FE purpose other than to justify their existance and in that and little else, they have been diligent.

14. And he nevers listens to them
    he knows that they're the fools
    he never shows his feelings
    But the fool on the hill
    Sees the sun going down a
    and the eyes in his eyes see
    the world spinning round.
    FOOLS TAKE HEED

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

BB, As I recall, it is:
    The 'eyes in his head'
    Alternately I could say "there is no one as blind as he/she who does not wish to see".
    The bible addresses those who call their brother a fool!

16. lexus, this is really not a fair assessment of the IfL.Since 1995 the Institute for Learning has been dedicated to improving
    the education and achievement of all students, especially those
    traditionally underserved. Their research-based curriculum, tools and
    professional development build the capacity of teachers, administrators,
    and systems to provide students with high quality instruction and
    learning opportunities. They put research on effort-based learning to work
    for students and educators.

17. Which, all said, isn't bad for an organisation that didn't exist then.

18. Glad you see the light now, brother! Come join in the fight to save the IfL!!!

SAVE IFL!! SAVE IFL!!!

19. Are you a dwarf?

20. Did you mean to call me a troll? This is very unprofessional teachered. What does "teachered" mean anyway? Is this a transitive verb that has been done to you?