1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The IfL : is there any point?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by barnasha, Jan 9, 2012.

1. I saw this being discussed elsewhere but I thought it might be nice if someone could explain it to me as I am getting very confused. Like others I got a letter and newsletter before Christmas asking me to re join the IfL. They have even offered me a reduced fee because I am part time. I would like to know if it is worth it?
    I used to work in FE and joined the IfL (MIfL) back in 2002 when I worked in FE. Now I work in a school. I teach 14 - 19 and was until recently considered unqualified. When the Wolf report came out the LA moved me to main scale and paid me as a qualified teacher because the Wolf report said FE qualified teachers were to be recognised and paid the same as qualified teachers in schools. I am not registered with the GTC because its about to close down. My LA did apply for me and I have got papers for this and a TRN (which apparently I have had since 1995 when I qualified as an FE teacher but didn't know). I am not required to register with the IfL because I do not work in FE.
    So I am getting very confused
    a) Is it really QTLS that is being recognised in schools or an FE teaching qualification? It seems to me to be the latter.
    b) I am one of those who qualified in FE before 2002 and therefore do not have QTLS. I am not required to get it either, even if I were working in FE.
    c) Is it worth re joining the IfL to apply for QTLS and how would I get it anyway, since I am not working in FE and so cannot meet the criteria?
    d) Since I do not have to register with either the GTC (closing down) or the IfL ( not working in FE) is there anything it can offer me if I join? Any benefit I would get from it?
    I would like to know what others think. Is there anyone else in my situation even?

2. I saw this being discussed elsewhere but I thought it might be nice if someone could explain it to me as I am getting very confused. Like others I got a letter and newsletter before Christmas asking me to re join the IfL. They have even offered me a reduced fee because I am part time. I would like to know if it is worth it?
    I used to work in FE and joined the IfL (MIfL) back in 2002 when I worked in FE. Now I work in a school. I teach 14 - 19 and was until recently considered unqualified. When the Wolf report came out the LA moved me to main scale and paid me as a qualified teacher because the Wolf report said FE qualified teachers were to be recognised and paid the same as qualified teachers in schools. I am not registered with the GTC because its about to close down. My LA did apply for me and I have got papers for this and a TRN (which apparently I have had since 1995 when I qualified as an FE teacher but didn't know). I am not required to register with the IfL because I do not work in FE.
    So I am getting very confused
    a) Is it really QTLS that is being recognised in schools or an FE teaching qualification? It seems to me to be the latter.
    b) I am one of those who qualified in FE before 2002 and therefore do not have QTLS. I am not required to get it either, even if I were working in FE.
    c) Is it worth re joining the IfL to apply for QTLS and how would I get it anyway, since I am not working in FE and so cannot meet the criteria?
    d) Since I do not have to register with either the GTC (closing down) or the IfL ( not working in FE) is there anything it can offer me if I join? Any benefit I would get from it?
    I would like to know what others think. Is there anyone else in my situation even?

3. Very interesting questions that illuminate the void that Gove has created in both school and FE teaching.
    Despite what your LEA thinks, the answer at present is neither.
    Yep.
    No, not even if you were working in FE, for a number of reasons.
    Fistly it is not clear whether this would give you QTS parity.
    Even if it would, it seems unlikely that schools will recognise it in practice, (whatever the IfL say).
    And lastly since QTS (which was meant to be the 'gold standard' qualification for school teaching) is headed for the toilet then QTS parity maybe worth zilch.
    No one has gained any benefit from IfL membership.
    But what worries me about your situation is that when the GTC is replaced by the thing the Government have yet to tell us about you wont be in that either.

4. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

As you are having to ask others that question, clearly the answer is 'No' as you, like most people, can't see any benefit whatsoever of being a member of the IfL. Your employer obviously cannot see any reason why you need to be a member.
    One wonders if even FE colleges these days would bother to ask for your IfL membership if you applied for a job in the sector and you clearly had the experience and qualifications for the job..
    I looked through the regular IfL magazine recently, the only thing it now seems to focus on is CPD.

5. Hi Read post 27 on the following link which is where I answered this question:

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/475328.aspx

Then, decide for yourself!

MsB

6. "QTS is headed for the toilet" ?????
    What? I don't think this is the case. The GTC(E) is being shut down, yes, but the maintenance of Qualified Teacher Status is being delegated to the DfES in its absence.

7. For sure.
    But in Big Ears' view of the world you don't necessarilly need QTS to teach children, at least not in that kind and thoughtful Mr Toby's new school where a good understanding of the classics is perfectly sufficient.
    And the actual standards are of course under review. Mr Gee thinks some of them aren't really necessary, not even in Bog Standard Comp, although some unkind souls think that he might not understand them, and that's the problem. Anyway he's got Sally from one of those other new super successful schools (like Toby's but without the Latin) to revise them so that ordinary people can tell if a teacher is good or bad.
    Simples.

8. He won't be in a job long enough to implement any change at all. He didn't want the job, I can't find a single lecturer/teacher that agrees with him on anything and he has already proven his incompetence in more than one area.
    The sooner the Government walks the better. Looking forward to more picket lines...