1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The \I can't have kids"Support Group"""

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by slippeddisc, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Best of luck with the adoption plans - my brother is adopted i really admire anyone who can offer their love to kids who really need it. x

2. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Have you thought about it yourself?

3. slippeddisc

I still haven't completely decided on adoption. It might sound selfish but I really want a baby. As a single adopter I'm more likely to be accepted to adopt a slightly older child. They very rarely have single people adopting new born babies.
    I haven't completely got my head around that one.

4. We're keepin our options open at the mo well I am! Our medical issue is the easiest one to overcome but oh is kinda in denial so ive not entirely given up all hope!

My brother was 4 when we adopted him - the ss said that very few babies are put up for adoption these days so a toddler might be a more realistic 'goal'.but you wouln't guess my brother wasnt biologically one of us he has all our mannerisms and personality traits! Poor boy!

5. slippeddisc

I hope it works out for you. Are you able to talk to your OH about it?

6. not really i can understand its a really difficult subject for him and we've struggled with it in the past at the moment we've agreed to enjoy being together for now.

7. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

My brother and sis in law can't, they tried for a long time, then IVF, over ten years after they started trying they were approved to adopt, now have 2 kids, 5 and 2 (since early last year) adopted at the same time. They are really happy, I think in sme ways they can see the benefits of missing the baby stage, its not easy but can make you happy...good luck you guys xxx

8. slippeddisc

Thanks tigi.

9. Can I join this group?

10. slippeddisc

Of course. Welcome.

11. Nice to be with some like minded people. Only yesterday I visited a friend who just had a baby three weeks ago. I cried all the way back in the car.

12. slippeddisc

Its awful some days isn't it. Have you only recently found out that you can't have children?

13. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

My best friend has two babies... I love them to bits, but can't pretend that it doesn't provoke an emotion deep inside.

14. I found out almost three years ago, when we tried. It is fine most of the time, but days like that bring it all out.

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

It gets harder again when all your friends start becoming grandparents.

16. suefla

suefla New commenter

Don't give up. My daughter was told that she couldn't have kids (she has severe endometriosis and PCOD) she resigned herself to never having kids - 15 years later when she was 35 she caught a nasty stomach bug that just wouldn't go away, after about a month of throwing up and losing weight she went to the doctors - surprise, surprise our little miracle was on the way. He's 4 now and the love of our lives.

17. slippeddisc

It would be nice if it worked out for more people like that suefla. Congrats to your daughter.

Pretty definate for me I'm afraid.

18. hello, - been lurking, can i join?
    We have been trying for 5 yrs now, and i am resigned to not having children.
    its so hard sometimes though - both my sisters and practically everyone i know seems to be pg or had babies recently.

19. slippeddisc

Hi mad. Good name!

20. Just wanted to add my support to everyone. I was told i could never have kids but i guess i am one of the lucky ones who proved them wrong. My Aunty's husband's sister (still with me?) tried for a baby from her teens up until her 30's when her doctor told her it was impossible, loads of failed IVF etc. They did a pregnancy test as precaution before her hysterectomy (sp?) and found she was pregnant. She was 45.

Love and hugs to everyone x