1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The humble campaign for the universal application form...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by DaisysLot, Oct 14, 2015.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I've just had a friend over to help them complete an application form. They had the wisdom of course to save ones they have done previously so they could flick easily through the typical employment history, education, personal statement content as a base for the newly pressed version specific to the present job spec…

But seriously… WHY is there no universal teaching application form! I want to campaign for one and save prospective teachers some hours!
    The reason my friend was so 'stuck' was basically because the present one was in such an awful format with little boxes that jumped about when they tried to type in them that it was a ridiculous horrible construction! Half the time was spent trying desperately to make the application form 'work' and find ways to write in the boxes, not thinking about content at all! If there were specific things a specific school or setting wanted then surely those bits could be in some requested appendix but there really is no need for this massive variation in application form format surely!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, have often said this, @DaisysLot . A sort of UCAS for teaching jobs.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

A few years ago the TDA tried to introduce one. There are many issues such as the format the systems it operates on what is included on the form as HR departments use them for various purposes post employment.
    There are a variety of forms as there are a variety of schools and there is always cut and paste

4. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Not UCAS! Not with all the fun we are having at present, with being forced by the DfE to use UCAS for teacher training applications! I don't know anyone in school based teacher training who has a good word to say for UCAS!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK, OK, John!

I meant just a standard form, all the schools and LAs agreeing on it, as the Unis do.

6. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I am currently filling out an application online. It was 10 years since I last applied for an education job and they sent me out a paper copy so I am completely thrown at having to fill it in on the computer.
    All the pages jump about as I type as described in the OP and and I have pages and pages of blank bits but if I try and take them out I lose content so I have to keep them as they are. I'm worried I will look unprofessional!

7. DaisysLot

@Gsr25 Yep… theme the challenges we're talking about.

I've even found spelling mistakes in some… and ones that seem to omit vital information from the content like.. um.. address!

My proposal would be for a universal teaching application for that covers personal particulars (name, address, phone, NI) qualifications, education, employment history, references, the criminal declaration bit… then after that a section that each school/ LEA/ setting can adapt to include specifics they want to know…..At least then the mighty box filling part is universal!

8. Gsr25

@DaisysLot yes I have found many spelling mistakes in the form I have filled in and I want to correct them but I guess it's best not to really!

9. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

The humble campaign for the universal application form...

Ummm! I am not the only one thinking about it...but, sadly, it is a lost cause.

10. DaisysLot

I think TES should take up the story and put it out there…

11. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

... and one of us should write an article for " The Guardian Secret Teacher".

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That point is covered in one of my articles in the Professional Advice Hub:

How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

Best wishes

13. Gsr25

Yes I read that and I resisted!

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

@Gsr25

(The missing Thumbs Up emoticom)

15. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

I've been on about this for years. I suspect there are several reasons why schools love having their own form, and they are all to do with the excessive time needed to complete them.
    1. In some subjects it stops whoever is handling recruitment being inundated with applications that would otherwise be very easy to submit.
    2. Spending hours filling in the school's form shows how incredibly keen you are to work at said school.
    3. Being prepared to waste so much time on a form shows the head that you will put up with whatever unnecessary administrative **** is thrown at you, should you get the job.

JL48 and Gsr25 like this.
  16. DaisysLot

Gawd forbid that something that saves teachers and potential teachers time should be installed…

17. Gsr25

It's very frustrating because many of these application forms have not been updated adequately in order for them to work properly as a download. If they were web based like many large companies do then filling them in would be a lot easier.
    It annoyed me to send off an application that had altered itself as I filled it in and if I were to try and correct it, I would have lost information. So I have had to send off a form that has blank pages half way through and pages with just the title of the section because the rest has moved down and editing would have made it worse.
    So not only does it waste time of the applicant but it wastes the time of the school having to wade through the blank pages half way through.
    This is why I hate emailing applications!