1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The houseplant lovers thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4561, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Thanks Angiebabe! Yes, I think the first one is called a prayer plant, the green and white dieffenbachia, is also called Dumb Cane, because the sap is poisonous, and makes your throat swell up.... it would be poisonous to humans too, if they ate it....

The nice lady at the garden centre had loads of huge spider plants... I asked her if she had any smaller ones, so she just gave me three bits of a larger plant, as an extra, which I thought was really kind. I've potted them up too....

My plants are cheering me up no end. i talk to them! And the dog gets jealous!!!!!!

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I love my variegated umbrella plant. Sadly it can't live in the living room during the winter. We have the fire on too much. It can move back down from the landing when summer finally starts!

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My Scotch Bonnet Chilli plants that I grew from seed last year survived the winter in our conservatory and are already into new growth, so they've become a fixture. Apart from enjoying watching them grow, the chillies add a real kick to my cooking.

Good to see what they should look like - I rescued and re-potted a rather wilted specimen from our bathroom last year and put it out in the garden over the summer - it's still got a droopy trunk but there's new growth everywhere now. It over winters in the house, so it's a migratory plant.