1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The hospital education service - any tips?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by tamsyn010, Jul 22, 2017.

1. tamsyn010

tamsyn010 New commenter

It is the first day of the summer holidays for me, and most of us I assume, but here I am posting..

The reason I'm here is for two things, I start a new job in the hospital education service in September and I am really excited. So I have been looking online for some advice and other people's experiences and I can't find very much at all.

1: What are your experiences of working within the HES? What advice can you give?

2: Can you suggests any books or websites, so that I can do some research. I've been teaching for 8 years, and it's a long time since I did any detailed academic study within education, so please point me in the right direction.

What is the Hospital Education Service?

For those of you who aren't familiar with what the HES does, my job will involve teaching students who are off school, either because they are ill, or they have a mental health issue. I might be teaching them at home, at our school, or in hospital. I could have them for a few months, or even years.

Thank you in advance for any ANY help that you can give.

2. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

No avice I'm afraid, but I wish you the best of luck. It's always something I would have loved to have done, but never really persued. I'm sure your questions will be answered once you've started there.

3. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Good luck. It's an important job for those you work with, but probably underappreciated by everyone else.
    I would...
    Familiarise myself with the main exam board websites so that you know exactly how to find the specs of any exam.
    Familiarise myself with the programmes of study for the core subjects.

Many of your pupils may not feel much like formal work.
    Find lots of games especially for maths and English.
    Lots of good resources here.
    https://nrich.maths.org/

5. ajsci1

ajsci1 New commenter

6. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Ajsci1 are you quoting the OP or adding a comment?

7. pickles124

Does anyone have any advice working with children/adolescents who present with eating disorders, autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia, dysgraphia, dyscalculus. ADHD. Social and emotional. OCD.

8. tamsyn010

tamsyn010 New commenter

Thank you for your comments so far - would anyone be interested if I started a blog about my first year? I know I would be glad if someone else had done this for me.

9. tamsyn010

tamsyn010 New commenter

10. tamsyn010

tamsyn010 New commenter

In what context please? Are you teaching in a mainstream school?

11. pickles124

Tamsin I have sent you a private message. In a child and adolescent psychiatric hospital. It's a Teaching Assistant interview ive got coming up.

12. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Established commenter

Do it!

13. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Tamsin - yes i would be interested in blog - in particular teaching and resources used with the visually impaired and/or those undergoing eye surgery. I have recent personal experience of this and the experiene of this moved me into campaigning as well as just starting to go back into work again myself after recovering from surgery.

RNIB has a connect community who would also be pleased to have a link to your blog in their educationa l panel I would think

http://www.rnib.org.uk/rnibconnect