1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The horror of cod liver oil...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, May 13, 2012.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Having decided to take better care of my joints I went to look for cod liver oil in Mossers. The liquid was cheapest and skinflint that I am - that is what I bought.
    Argggggggg
    It is horrendous. I don't remember it being this vile when given it as a child. It tastes like Gollum's breath. Like something you find on a beach left out in the sun three days of fishy origin. VIle. And the taste does not go away. It lasts for hours. It repeats as well.
    And now I have to finish the bottle. I think I might dish it out to unprepared members of the family.
    My daughter had some capsules of the stuff recently and the cats raided them. She found them chewed and sucked out, just the coating left - and she found capsules all round her bedroom - on top of cupboards etc - as if they had been played with and killed.
    That gives me an idea.........

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Here kitty kitty....

3. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

Nellie, please whatever you do don''t give it to the cat! Cod liver oil contains Vitamin A and you could well risk toxitiy which leads to painful joints as new bone is deposited around them. Pet foods are already supplemented with this vitamin and you could well risk this happening. Salmon oil, in moderation is a far safer alternative.

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Even more horrible: malt flavoured cod liver oil. Not even a stray cat who hasn't eaten for a week would go near that.

5. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Add granulated sugar and massage it into your feet.
    Who knows what effect it might have. I've had my hands massaged with almond oil mixed with granulated sugar and it was lovely.
    Definitely don't consume any more. Buy the capsules.

6. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

I detested CLO and the malted stuff as a child too.
    OH actually quite likes it! Needless to say, I've told him that if he insists on taking the liquid form he's sleeping on the couch.

7. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

The capsules are very palatable - you can get them as veggy ones too

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

[​IMG]

9. Post the bottle to me, I'll let the chickens and ratties at it!
    I'll send you some capsules back!

Never, ever, ever do cheap with foul tasting 'does you good' stuff. Pay through the nose, don't have to hold it!

10. 2. Thread Domination Inc.

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I used to love that as a child! Yum!

12. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I used to love cod liver oil and Malt extract when I was little. I bought both again when I was about 18 and thought I needed to be healthier at Uni. They were absolutely foul and I nearly threw up. Never again!

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

You cannot get vegatarian COD LIVER oil. That is an oxymoron.

14. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

My Mum used to give me and my brother both of these. CLO is vile.......................pure vile on a spoon [​IMG]
    However, I used to love malt extract. Probably because compared to CLO anything was palatable!

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

There was also some disgusting stuff called Parishes Food or something like that - it was truly disgusting.

16. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Roo did not like extract of malt but Tigger loved it.

17. This reminds me of my maternal grandmother who seemed to look on CLO as achildhood panacea. Occasionally, I would go and stay with her for the day, which was nice, but she did try and get me take 'just a small spoonful'. The stuff is absolutely vile; how anyone can swallow it without vomitting, I don't know. I know some people take the capsules, but even they say that they get the repeat taste.

18. I can still remember the bottle, vividly. It had a white and blue label, and the whole bottle looked misty inside. The outside was slippery and so tended to have fluff stuck to it.

19. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

The capsules are vegecaps.
    Did you think I didn't know what I was talking about?

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Bloody Hell, Cod Liver Oil. My Mum used to insist on giving me a teaspoon of that liquid sh*te daily in early childhood because it was supposed to be good for me.

GOOD FOR ME? HOW CAN SOMETHING THAT TASTED LIKE THE SCRAPINGS FROM SATAN'S JOCK STRAP BE GOOD FOR ME?!

What indescribable forms of self abuse to Cod indulge in do leave their livers tasting like that? They must be out of their skulls on Class A substances and Carlsberg Special Brew down there on the seabed most nights. These foul degenerate piscine lowlife drunkard junkie scum should be fished to extinction.