1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Hobbit - Year 4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by s1oux, May 27, 2012.

1. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

Just wondering if anyone has read The Hobbit to a Year 4 class? If so, how did they like it?
    I've taught a unit of work based around the Hobbit to Year 4 before, but it used short animated 'chapters'. Would much prefer to use the text this time but am not sure if they'll follow it sufficuently well. Any experience?

2. TheTinyTeacher

TheTinyTeacher New commenter

I've not read it to Year 4 but I remember having it read to me in Year 4. I think we all loved it and the fact that it is the only book I can remember being read to me at school must show for something!

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

Me too! (A long time ago!)
    I remember that our teacher had made a frieze to go around the classroom with pictures he'd done of all the characters. The dwarves all had different coloured hats - I can stiil recall just sitting there listening and looking at those pictures.
    I think our teacher at the time, (Mr Berryman - fantasic) was a Tolkien fan - he carried on to 'The Lord of the Rings' but, not surprisingly, we ran out of time!
    (When I later went to grammar school I was shocked to discover that the first class book we had to read was 'The Hobbit'!)

4. I have done it with year 6 - only you know if your particular class would be able to follow - I know some of the classes I have taught wouldnt be able to