1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Help...what do you think?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by craftyangel, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Personally, I loved it!
    So well written, I really cared about the characters and what happens to them. The racist attitudes and the segregation of 1960's America were very well portrayed from various points of view. Passed it on to my Mum who also couldn't put it down!
    If you haven't read it, go and buy it and read it!
    As it is such a character-based novel, people who have read it, who is your favourite?
    For me, I love Miss Celia the most. She is a very complex and loveable woman who seems to ignore or is unaware of social customs and norms when interacting with her help, in this case, Minnie. At the start, she seems stupid, niave and lazy but after several dramatic events her character develops into a caring and warm-hearted person and I loved her!

2. Personally, I loved it!
    So well written, I really cared about the characters and what happens to them. The racist attitudes and the segregation of 1960's America were very well portrayed from various points of view. Passed it on to my Mum who also couldn't put it down!
    If you haven't read it, go and buy it and read it!
    As it is such a character-based novel, people who have read it, who is your favourite?
    For me, I love Miss Celia the most. She is a very complex and loveable woman who seems to ignore or is unaware of social customs and norms when interacting with her help, in this case, Minnie. At the start, she seems stupid, niave and lazy but after several dramatic events her character develops into a caring and warm-hearted person and I loved her!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Me too, me too!
    I bought it ages ago. Read a review of it in the paper one Sunday afternoon, and downloaded it straight away from Amazon - the advantage of a Kindle is that you can do impulse spending 24/7.
    [​IMG]
    Haven't seen the film, cannot imagine that it would be better than the book.
    Best wishes

4. ljr

ljr New commenter

No - its not better than the book, but it is very true to the book, and therefore enjoyable. I'm glad I'd read it first, but unlike The Best Marigold Exotic Hotel the characters and the setting was just as I had imagined them to be. One word of warning though - it takes a few minutes to tune in to the southern accents, I began to think I would never understand what some of the actors were saying.

5. Well very rarely is a film as good as the book but they did a very good job, kept in all the funny bits, got all the emotional bits, had to leave out a lot of it (obviously) but you should watch it. One of the better film adaptations of a book I've seen.

6. corky

corky New commenter

The Help is a fantastic book and good film. As mentioned all ready, it takes a while to get used to the southern accents - subtitles would've helped! The film stays true to the book and is just as emotional. I liked how the dignity of the black maids was portrayed and contrasted with the ignorance of the white wives employing them. It's a while since I read the book but I liked the white 'trailer trash' wife who was being ostracised by the 'in' crowd. I liked the fact she didn't conform to the stereotype and came to rely on her maid in a more equal way.

7. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I really really enjoyed the film, even though I didn't think I would. I then downloaded the book which was even better.

8. 576

576 Established commenter

Got a book shop voucher for my birthday last week and have purchased this with it - hope it's as good as you all say.

9. Very well written, good character portrayal but left with a nasty taste in my mouth. Minnie gets all the left over crumbs from the white womans table, the job she no longer wants, a 'Help' role in getting the book written. Minnie had a much more valid reason to write the book than Celia, she was a good writer and her son wanted the book written. Celia could have enabled Minnie to do so. The other Helps would have been far more likely to talk to one of their own - why did they talk to Celia? I couldn't imagine why and this part didn't ring true at all.