1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Oct 20, 2018.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Just wanted to recommend this series - yes, it's a chiller/horror, and it scared the bejesus out of me, but it's also a thoughtful and moving story about grief, and family relationships. Almost no gore, apart from an accident scene, and it wasn't really gory.
    Also, it made me cry a few times.

needabreak likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I saw that and did consider it...

But we've just watched season 1 of American Horror Story which was a haunted house story so MrsLan wasn't very keen.

Will probably watch it at some point.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

AHS has totally gone downhill for me. Up until the Roanoake series, you could expect some pathos to balance out the horror, but there's been none of that in Roanoake and Cult. A real shame. However, my sister informs me that the current series, Apocalypse, is back on form and also, Jessica Lange returns. Yuss.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah we are only half way through season 2. Newbies.

5. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Ah, ok. Coven (3) is the best one, IMO.

Nanny Ogg likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Something to look forward to.

7. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Had seen it, might take a peek now.

coffeekid likes this.
  8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Ooh, I was just wondering whether to watch Hill House, but I'm not sure I can take it.
    I still haven't quite got over Salem's Lot nearly 40 years ago!!

coffeekid likes this.
  9. needabreak

Ooh the first episode was good, just ebough jumps and intrigue to set the scene, I am on the second episode and trying not to binge watch even though it's Saturday night. Thanks for recommending it. :)

coffeekid likes this.
  10. Dunteachin

Shall I?

Will it stop me from going to the bathroom in the middle of the night? Will the closed bedroom door frighten me?

11. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

I’m watching it in the daytime, so the effects have warm off a bit by bedtime. It’s good....not that scary.

12. Dunteachin

Good idea!

13. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Keep your eyes open and look for the hidden ghosts in the background throughout the series...

needabreak likes this.
  14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Well, one particular episode had my nerves so jangled I had to read a bit of Stephen King's The Shining before I could put the light out.

15. Dunteachin

16. letap

letap Occasional commenter

Episode 5 - The Bent Neck Lady is a heartbreakingly brilliant episode. Episode 6 - Two Storms, employs long takes - 15 minutes or so ala the movie Rope, which gives the episode a real time feel. The acting is excellent in both episodes, the direction and cinematography is really spot on. Both episodes are good as anything that the likes of GOT or Breaking Bad have ever produced.

Castlerock (based on Stephen King) is not too disimilar - although the last episode was very disappointing. Episode 7 - The Queen which features a Sissy Spacek tour de force was exceptional in much the same way the The Bent Neck Lady was brilliant.
    American TV shows are really raising the bar at the moment.

coffeekid likes this.
  17. needabreak

Good tip... not noticed any but the obvious ones so far... will pay more attention.

18. 7eleven

7eleven Senior commenter

Just starting the bent neck lady episode now...!

19. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Episode 2 just starting. I'm getting too into it that I know I'm gonna binge watch and be freaked right out by bedtime.

20. Dunteachin

Just starting Episode 2. OMG.

Will I sleep, tonight?!