1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The hassle of getting teaching hours for your PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Chaotic-Wonder, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I was hoping I would get some useful advice or tips for getting teaching hours. I'm in my 2nd year of a P/T PGCE and found getting hours extremely stressful and uncomfortable. I always feel like I'm being rude or pestering subject leaders, and that they feel I'm using them to obtain the hours. Is this silly? I dislike relying on others so much and feel awful asking and I never know what to say, especially if the class/subject you want to teach is either your second choice or your oh **** I'm getting desperate choice. I know how busy everyone is so I feel like a burden, so I was hoping and wondering if anybody had any advice or past experience they could share? Anything to stop me feeling so bad.
    Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Sorry I don't understand what you mean? I've been a subject mentor in the past and I have been given by the training uni a percentage of a full time teachers timetable that I have to provide for the trainee. I then inform the teachers whose classes will be taken over that this is the case and then let the trainee know which ones a couple of weeks before their placement starts after they have made the first initial contact.

3. rainbow_gold

rainbow_gold New commenter

I'm also confused as to what you mean. When I was training it was understood that the placement schools organised your timetable for you, as obviously there will be some classes that you will be unable to teach (i.e. the notoriously disruptive students). If your placement schools have had you organising your own timetable then I think you should get in touch with your university tutor asap!