1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Guards c0cks up!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Sep 16, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

An I surprised?

The Guardian's leftist views have reached an astonishing new low.

The Guardian has apologised for saying David Cameron had only felt "privileged pain" over the death of his son.

In extracts of his memoirs published on Sunday, the former PM praises the NHS care his disabled son Ivan received before he died in 2009, aged six.

But the paper asked whether he "might have understood the damage his policies have done" if he had sought care for a parent rather than a child.

"The original version of an editorial posted online yesterday fell far short of our standards," a spokesman said.

"It was changed significantly within two hours, and we apologise completely."

A screenshot of the paragraph about Mr Cameron's son was shared on social media, including by Chancellor Sajid Javid, who called it a "shameful thing to read".

"Never has an editorial so lacked in empathy, while so righteously criticising others for lacking it," he said in a tweet.

[​IMG]Image Copyright @sajidjavid@SAJIDJAVID
    [​IMG]
    Liberal Democrat MP Angela Smith condemned the remarks as "entirely inappropriate".

Speaking on the Victoria Derbyshire programme, Ms Smith said: "I don't believe in the politics of class warfare.

"The majority of parliamentarians are trying to do a decent job and I think the use of those terms must have been very hurtful to David Cameron."

Comedian and actress Jenny Eclair tweeted: "I am furious with David Cameron but to question his grief privilege as the Guardian is doing is vile beyond vile - his 6 year old son died."

[​IMG]Image Copyright @jennyeclair@JENNYECLAIR
    [​IMG]
    Mr Cameron had been an MP for less than a year when Ivan was born in 2002, and became prime minister the year after his son died.

In an extract of his memoirs published in the Sunday Times, Mr Cameron recalls taking Ivan to hospital when he was just a few days old.

"When you watch your tiny baby undergoing multiple blood tests, your heart aches. When they bend him back into the foetal position to remove fluid from the base of his spine with a long, threatening-looking needle, it almost breaks," he says.

It was later discovered Ivan had cerebral palsy and a severe form of epilepsy that led him to have 20 or 30 seizures in a day.

2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I make loads of mistakes and I also say the wrong thing but to consider that several people were involved in this story going to press and being published is hard to understand.

Six years of troubled life and then to die. What were these people thinking! It's shocking.
    They need a compassion transplant or to be sent on some kind of course that helps them find again their humanity.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I have no time for Cameron...

But using his 6 year old child's death to attack him? Utter scum.

4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

No excuse for belittling anyone's grief over the death of their child.

5. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Oh, they already possess "compassion". They're just very, very, very selective about who they think deserves it.

lanokia likes this.
  6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Being 'woke' and interested in 'social justice' clearly does not guarantee compassion. Why is abuse against white men any more acceptable than against anyone else? Also it's rubbish to say that accessing healthcare for children is necessarily easier-I've known people put themselves into debt to pay for private care for their child because the NHS didn't help them.
    While I wouldn't say I agree with all Thtacher's policies, the comments from some about her dementia (and death) were disgusting.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The abuse wasn't because of his race... it was due to his politics.

nomad likes this.