1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Guardian: Schools in England told not to use anti-capitalist material in teaching

Discussion in 'English' started by KS23, Sep 27, 2020.

1. KS23

KS23 New commenter

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...t-to-use-anti-capitalist-material-in-teaching

"The government has ordered schools in England not to use resources from organisations which have expressed a desire to end capitalism.

Department for Education (DfE) guidance issued on Thursday for school leaders and teachers involved in setting the relationship, sex and health curriculum categorised anti-capitalism as an “extreme political stance” and equated it with opposition to freedom of speech, antisemitism and endorsement of illegal activity.

Former shadow chancellor John McDonnell said the measures effectively outlawed reference in schools to key events in British history, and that it symbolised growing “authoritarianism” within the governing Conservative party."

Have they read An Inspector Calls?!

Mrsmumbles, littledragon25 and tb9605 like this.
  2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Why would you be using An Inspector Calls in a PHSE lesson? The article you shared, and the pasted section above, specifically refers to anti capitalist organisations (I don't think Priestley is an 'organisation'), and specifically to the teaching of PHSE.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

So the DfE are restricting free speech in schools so does that mean we should not use anything they publish?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

I think it has to be taken with a pinch of reality. It is clearly aimed at the financed construction of anti-western sentiment, and not the teaching of analytical thought.

5. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Well they clearly are not part of one parliamentary body!

6. Mrsmumbles

To be honest, I found most PSHE lessons so depressing/dull, the opportunity to slap in a bit of JBP would be welcome. Also a common reference point. And one which my students use now, when discussing capitalism and the welfare state, so he must have been doing something right.

7. Mrsmumbles

Is it? Where’s the leaflet?!

8. helpline2

helpline2 New commenter

The Tories are on a hiding to nothing trying to ban anti-capitalist ideas from schools. It is impossible to ban ideas. The only result will be to make anti-capitalism more interesting and attractive.

Shakespeare frequently asserted that love is more important than money and if that isn't anti-capitalism I don't know what is. And don't get me started on that Jesus fella - it's as hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God as it is for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle indeed!

The Conservatives should concentrate on convincing the poor, the unemployed and those who need medical help that the rich are more important than they are.

Good luck with that.