1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The GTC are coming after me - do I have to pay?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Jonha, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

Hello all. I worked in England in 2005 and 2006 as a part-time teacher. I was taking a degree in Sweden at the time and doing work abroad earned more points, so I worked a few months in both years. I have just received a letter from these GTC people telling me I have broken all kinds of laws by not registering with them and so they are demanding cash....even though they then tell me they are closing down (or sort of closing down). I wrote back and told them the truth - that I am long gone and have no intention of working in England......but will that wash? I don't mind paying £80 or so but obviously would rather not, especially as I gather this agency has no credibility with British teachers anyhow?

2. Sadly, the GTC has not yet gone; nor does it seem to want to go quietly. Teachers in England are required to pay the fee for this year.
    If yoy taught in England in 2005 - 2006 you are probably liable to pay. However, if you do not plan to teach in England in the future you are pretty safe not paying.
    I hardly think GTC are going to go to Sweden, or wherever you are now to chase for £80.

3. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

You don't need to pay if you work in a private school either...

BTW I haven't paid this year...nor intend to!

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Do you work in a private school? If not, you have no right to teach. Let's hope that the money saved does not come at a high cost if something goes wrong for you :)

5. AdmiralNelson

I moved house, and school...Their incompetant bureaucracy can't find me... (but I haven't been subbed by the LEA so haven't gained from this.)

6. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

I wouldn't pay, they can't register English Teachers working in state schools in England properly, they de- registered me <u>by accident</u>! The chances of this near defunct body chasing you are low. I'd wait for the court date, with these guys record on organisation, I'd book it in the day after your funeral, (provided you live to a VERY old age!). If they do go to court (and for &pound;80 from a part time teacher that doesn't work here any more I'd doubt it!), all you'd have to do is to send in a cheque to pay the &pound;80 they want anyway.

The tories have got many, many things wrong, but abolishing these clowns at least was a move in the right direction!!

Ian

7. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

Thanks all - I will see how they respond to my letter. They said they would contact my employer and de-register me (even though I am not registered anyhow)......I now live and work in Canada, and not as a teacher, so this could get interesting!!

8. AdmiralNelson

Unless you want to wind them up and have some fun I wouldn't even bother to reply.Return their letters (without a stamp) marked : 'gone away'...

9. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

Did you receive the money for this in your pay from your school? It is easy to miss, as it is a small amount extra one month. If so, I'd suggest you have a moral obligation to pay. BTW, I was registered because they couldn't contact me to notify me of my subscription, despite the fact that they had contacted me successfully before then, and I hadn't moved home or school. When I did get back on the register, they demanded 2 years back subscription, and wouldn't even send me the magazine!