1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The greatest British Prime Ministers (Top ten)

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Wanda_the_Wonder, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Established commenter

1 Winston Churchill

2 Margaret Thatcher

3 Clement Atlee

4 David Lloyd George

5 H H Asquith

6 Ted Heath

7 Harold Wilson

8 Tony Blair

9 Marquess of Salisbury

10 David Cameron

Not my personal choices. Just looking at the evidence as objectively as I can.

alex_teccy likes this.
  2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

What criteria did you use in your "objectivity"? How much research did you carry out? What sources did you use in order to reach your conclusions?

It seems to me that these are very much your "personal choices"!!;)

3. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

How many times we done this?

Jamvic likes this.
  4. Wanda_the_Wonder

Sorry Red Observer but I'm new here and didn't realise this was done before.

Do previous lists bear resemblance to my list?

5. colpee

colpee Star commenter

David Cameron :D:D:D

ilovesooty likes this.
  6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Clement Attlee

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

They are all as bad as each other.
    PM me if you think I could do a better job.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Is there a special relegation zone to put Cameron and Johnson in.

ilovesooty and Morninglover like this.
  9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Dominic Cummings?

10. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

TED HEATH?
    The only ones I'd keep from that list are Churchill, Lloyd George and Salisbury. And I'd add Walpole, Pitt (both Elder and Younger), Peel, Palmerstone, Disraeli, Gladstone and Stanley Baldwin.

11. Wanda_the_Wonder

Okay. I knew David Cameron at the No 10 spot would be controversial. But I liked him and had it not been for Brexit he would have gone on to be a great Prime Minister. The mistake he made was giving the Tory agitators a referendum. He figured that the Liberal Democrats in the coalition would veto any referendum on Europe. But in 2015 he won an outright victory and there was no Liberal Democrat party there to put the brakes on. Sad.

12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think the greatest were and are always the ones the system freezes out.

Enoch Powell....Ken Livingstone (both sides of the spectrum but boy, what a ride of action had either been PM).

Cannot think of any others that would have had the guts to implement serious, no bull change.

Maybe Galloway.

All those listed to and including Thatcher were but puppets and system defenders rather than doers and breakers.

13. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Spencer Percival.

14. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

There are several very good reasons why Powell, Livingstone or Galloway were never, and would never, have become PMs. None of them were "doers and breakers" either, by the way.

And as for suggesting that Churchill or Lloyd George (to mention just two) were "puppets" is vapid nonsense.

Brunel likes this.
  15. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I did not, made it very clear I was only going 'to and including Thatcher'.

EDIT: My error, it does indeed read the complete opposite of what I intended - which was from now to and including Thatcher. That is because I do not feel I know enough about the others, a bit before my time.

Indeed and it is always the same - that they would actually get things done. Not the same as saying what they would do would be great but they would get things done.

With Powell it was also fear of his intellect. (I agree Galloway was more making the point it is hard to find names)

16. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

:confused: