1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Great Post Office Trial

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, May 30, 2020.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Thank you - that is helpful.
    I obviously focused on the first part and missed the second. As I said, I was in a 'hiding behind the sofa' listening mode, as it was all so painful.

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Just to remind you all of this series. I caught up with the three episodes that were broadcast this week, which were even more compelling listening than the previous five were. Last week ended on a downer for the sub-postmasters, when the Post Office pulled the plug on the independent investigation and it looked like the sub-postmasters had to start all over again or give up hope of finding justice, but a serious of unexpected events began to turn things back in their favour, not least the evidence of someone who had worked on the Horizon computer system who came forward to say it was utter nonsense that only the sub-postmasters had access to the system, but that he and his colleagues were frequently making alterations to it remotely.

I shall probably save the final two episodes for the weekend, but isn't it fascinating to see how the mighty, who imagine they are invincible, can be brought down? A David and Goliath story for the modern epoch..

ajrowing likes this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I've been following this story in Private Eye for many years now. Many decent people have ended up in prison!

Jamvic and harsh-but-fair like this.
  4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

In Private Eye today they report that up to 900 cases may now have to go before the Criminal Cases Review Commission.

Morninglover, modelmaker and Jamvic like this.
  5. modelmaker

It's a national disgrace; and the thing we all need to take away from it is how difficult it is to fight the system on your own, when it's just you on your own against the powerful.

Every person entitled to disability benefit, but had it cut when that oaf IDS, forced them to have their disability re-assessed by a corrupt company who declared them fit for work had to endure the same thing the sub-postmasters went through until their appeals proved otherwise had similarly devastating experiences.

It's an ongoing story, because although the sub-postmasters eventually got justice, whether anyone at the top of the Post Office will be able to convince the next court case that they always acted entirely in good faith has yet to happen.

It will be interesting to learn who, if anyone will be funding their defence lawyers, or if they can find one prepared to take the case on, on a no win, no fee basis.

ajrowing likes this.
  6. modelmaker

I wonder whether the Post Office Pension scheme invests its members money in law firms?

7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

They absolutely didn't get justice.
    They got an admission of false blame.
    But that is not justice.
    So far compensation of £58 million across hundreds of wrecked lives, failed businesses,mortgage defaults, shattered customer bases, severed family relationships, prison sentences, community rejection, disinheritance, black listing, stalking, mobbing-£58 million looks like a tidy sum until you start adding it up.
    It does not add up to justice, not by a long way yet.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  8. modelmaker

I agree entirely, but it's a justice that never looked possible whilst every sub-postmaster was on their own against a seemingly impossible to defeat system.

It isn't all over yet though. The case has yet to be heard to discover whether anyone in the Post Office was culpable for the misery and loss the sub-postmasters suffered, whether their union was implicit in this scandal, and is so, it seems probable they could be personally sued.

Then we come to whether the government body that regulates the Post Office was doing its job properly.

sbkrobson likes this.