1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The great plague (1600s) for KS1!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blancmange, Jan 2, 2011.

1. I have the great plague as my topic for my Y1/2 class next half term. I'm really struggling for ideas. The only objectives I have (supplied on our school's long term curriculum plan) are:

<font face="Times New Roman">(4)British History Event

Any one done this before? Even ideas for KS2 might help me at this stage. Please help. ]
    Thanks.

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Bummer.

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Sorry, that wasn't v. helpful.... I'd approach the History Coordinator and ask pointed questions like, "How do you suggest I approach this topic with KS1?" "What resources do you recommend?" Perhaps the penny will drop.....

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Do you teach in an area that was affected by the plague?

5. Would be interested to know why you are doing the plague and not the great fire of London which is a great topic for this age group and lends itself to fabulous cross-curricular teaching. Is it just because QCA has become a dirty word? Sorry - not very helpful but I'm getting a bit fed up of all the re-inventing of the wheel which seems to be going on at the moment!

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i your smart you can briefly meantion the plagu and move swiftly onto the great fire[​IMG] After al it did help to get rid of the plaugue in london
    Ona serious note ive never heard of the great plague being coved at this ks.........
    however
    children might like the spots on faces, the nursuery ryhme 'ring a ring of roses'...related to pl;ague sysmptoms
    you could do houses/sanitation/ rubbish/ rats/fleas/infection
    toilet.or lack off.
    bathing.living with animals/bed sharing

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Of course, as teachers, we would want to make sure we don't tell the children things that just aren't true. Such as this nursery rhyme actually having anything at all to do with the plague.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Well it has in some versions and there is an element of debate........but i'll leave it to the teacher to make sure they are happy whether to apply it to the plague or not.
    I wouldnt expect any one to just teach and not find out the issues involved[​IMG]

9. Msz

http://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/NurseryRhymes.htm
    http://www.rhymes.org.uk/ring_around_the_rosy.htm
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/ring-a-ring-of-roses.html
    2 supporting olds and the other sitting on the fence

10. Thank you everyone :)
    I looked at the planning and it seems it's 5 weeks on the plague and nothing else (no ICT topic no nothing) Apart from PE obviously.
    This means at least 15 lessons. EEEK!

So I'm going to place 1665 on a timeline (relating to the children and their parents being born and then Jesus since i don't reckon they'll be too familiar with other historic events), do an introduction to life in the mid 1600s (clothing, food, housing (&make model houses), then do the plague and how it spread and affected people and was treated then spend the rest on the Great fire. Including making a presentation. It does seem far more interesting and less gory for 5 year olds. I can't quite understand whyitwasn't in the planning in the first place!

Anyone got any ideas for a science topic I could link in? The lack of science worries me somewhat.

11. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

<font>

The third link is better. Looks at different arguments and tries to weigh them up. They do have a nice line -
    <font size="3"> " However, showing that something is possible doesn't make it true." The third link in fact backs up the plague doubters in their assertion that the rhyme was not originally linked to the disease.</font></font>

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

Is the the Destructive Curriculum?

Sorry to sound flip but I find the idea of five weeks of nothing but the Great Plague absolutely hilarious. What fun to plan!

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sorry - I've just noticed that you're KS1. How ridiculous.
    BTW, Two [numeral's not working] Simple do a nice time-travel story about the great fire.

14. I am glad that everyone else finds it ridiculous too. I thought it was just me being thick.

15. Msz

I could understandit more if there was a local connection
    15 lessons!!

16. Also, I just found that 2simple thing. It's great! Thanks a lot[​IMG]

17. Nope, My school is in Manchester.

18. Msz

19. i did this topic last term
    and it was fantastic
    the kids loved it & it was a joy to teach.
    specially the gross bits