1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

(The great) house Vs garden debate!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by char2505, Jul 24, 2011.

1. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Hi all. Am looking around my area for a house to buy. It woulod seem that the nice houses have v little or shared access gardens, and the houses with lovely lawns are ugly! At the moment I seem to be veering towards an ugly pad with an actual garden which surprises me, never having shown much of an inclination for gardening. Just out of curiosity, what would you prioritise?

2. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Yes, woulod is a word- it's like a warlord. Heh.

3. I would ALWAYS prioritise the house ... but then I'm more of an indoors-y person.
    No matter how beautiful the garden, it couldn't persuade me to live in an ugly house.
    That's just me though! You go for it and good luck!

4. 20 odd years ago we went for a nice house with a so-so garden. I now wish we had gone for a bigger garden (can't be ***** to move) as you can always add to or re-design a house but (unless you are in the position to buy adjoining land) you are stuck with the garden size.

5. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

So the question is, will you have the time and inclination to start?
    I am currently sitting looking, as I type, at our lawn that badly needs a cut, a patio with weeds springing through the cracks, hedges that need cutting, beds that need weeding and shrubs that need pruning - and that's without even considering the front garden. It is a fairly large garden, which is almost a full time job to keep under control. I have blitzes every so often and then it looks really nice, but it is the unrelenting and never ending nature of the job that defeats me.
    So in answer to your question, I'd say most definitely "house"!

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Garden gives you space between you and the neighbours so provides a bit of privacy so is definitely an important factor.

7. I agree - the garden needs so much attention just to get passable for a garden not jungle. The house will ultimately be where you will spend more time etc.
    On reflection I would choose a lovely house with a courtyard/small garden than yuck house with large garden. This would be more manageable and I could use for dining more than currently where I am reluctant to eat al fresco for fear the Triffids strike!

8. I'm fussy so I'd look for both! I couldn't cope with a shared garden any more but it really does depend on how much effort you want to put in. I think teaching is a good job for gardeners as the Easter and summer holidays are perfectly timed for when you need to be doing lots in the garden.

9. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Yes, this is the conclusion I have come to, and what I would opt for if we were to move again. In the 80s we lived for a time in Brighton, where we used to complain that you could never find any houses with decent sized gardens. We now live on the edge of London. Recently we went down to visit Brighton during the festival, and went to see a number of Open House art exhibitions. I was struck by how the artists whose houses we visited had the best of both worlds: lovely houses and little courtyard-style gardens which were absolutely beautiful, and much easier to manage. I couldn't see the attraction back then, but I certainly can now.

10. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

You can look for a house near a park or with easy access to countryside. A shared garden isn't worth paying much money for, and an unsatisfactory house seems an masochistic way to mortage your life savings. I would do house I like + easy garden + free greenery nearby.

11. Are you talking inner city or flat ? As I must admit, I have not come across many houses with shared access gardens unless they are partitions of houses or flats.

12. char2505

char2505 New commenter

I am in Sheffield and lots of terraced houses are like this. The passage between houses to get to the back door is not between each house, so to get to your back door you may have to walk along top or bottom of neighbours garden/have them do that. I am not from round here and was pretty surprised. The actual gardens are not shared but you may be doing secret sunbathing in your bikini/having your tea and suddenly someone walks through the garden!
    The houses with nice gardens are not big in the scheme of things it's just that they do have a small patio and lawn/flower beds. Dunno, just think I would be a bit sad to buy first house and have teeny courtyard. But then I do like the style of a terrace rather than a 70s ex council house. Hum de hum.

13. I don't know the Sheffield area that well but if you can afford it consider a village just outside the city - could be safer, quieter, and have more varied house/garden combos. I suppose it depends on work location, transport etc. But you'll probably end up moving out imo so maybe cut straight to the chase? Just an idea.

14. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I have a lovely house (large, Victorian etc) but no garden to speak of which breaks my heart. I would prioritise garden next time but I do like gardening. An allotment just is not the same.

15. I wouldn't mind a small garden (which is what I have) or even a yard, but would like it to be my small garden or yard, which I wouldn't feel it was if others had to walk through it get to their back door.
    I would be reluctant to buy a house with any shared areas which might lead to arguments with neighbours. I would advise to keep looking. There must be some nice terraces with their own small gardens somewhere in the whole of Sheffield.

16. We live in a barn conversion with a miniscule plot on the edge of a shared courtyard garden. I miss a big garden, but the shared courtyard is very easy to maintain and I still manage to potter, plant, tend and weed.

However, the barn is very dark (the living room and kitchen need lights on all year round, upstairs much better) and if we could afford to move, it would be to somewhere small with loads of natural light and a huge garden.

I'd go for the garden - the way house prices are, the area would soon appreciate in value.