1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Great British Menu is back!!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by jo_south_yorks, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Olympic banquet this time - theme is to push the boundaries.
    On BBC2 now :)

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

I was not inspired by any of the offerings

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

This pretty much sums up why I love it.
    The food is largely irrelevant. It's all to do with the silliness and the campness.
    That Alan Aitcheson or whatever he's called is a prize plum. And those pearls all over the place are doing my **** in.
    Love it.

4. a waste of time and licence-payers' money

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

What makes a programme a good use of licence payers' money?

6. I was busy ironing so only got to hear it... I did wonder about the pearl argument and had to look up to figure out what on Earth was going on.
    Much as I love this stage for their sheer plumptiousness I can't wait for the delectable Ollie, ever fragrant Pru and grumpy old wotsisface to have their tuppen'orth. All that posturing is just so...... so.... oh you know what I mean.

7. primarycat

primarycat Established commenter

I do enjoy watching it but I think the push the boundaries theme only exaggerates the ridiculousness of some of the offerings. It's a balance though - if I wanted to see something I could knock up quickly I'd be watching Jamie or Nigella. I always find it really frustrating that I can't try the food to judge it though - Masterchef does that to me as well. I want to pick a favourite and with food taste is the key element, followed by what it sounds / looks like.

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It does seem a little daft to be doing this, given that there's a bit of a backlash against overly fussy food at the moment. I'm sure the judges have moaned at over-complicated dishes in the past.
    Anyway, just makes it more of a pantomime.
    My thoughts too. It's not a cookery programme or a programme aimed at getting people to think about what they eat - it's mindless entertainment. There are plenty of cookery programmes around.

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I love this show!
    Yes, the brief this time means we are going to see some rather strange and wonderful concotions - but that's the whole point!
    This is fun! I don't honestly see myself looking at any of the dishes and saying 'ooooh I'll have a go at that!'
    But then, I just adore 'Cone Dine With Me' too....and that isn't really all about the food either!
    And I thoroughly enjoyed the Hairy Bikers Bakeathon last night.....partly for the scenery,. partly for the food, and partly to enjoy an unashamed cringe as they mangled the German language (Faschierter Rahmbraten being particularly gigglesome!)
    Different food programmes fill different needs....I lke my Sci-Fi too...and Red Dwarf, Stargate and StarTrek (original series) are all different but equally wonderful!

10. That Alan Murchison - bet he's a good laugh down the pub! What a competitive bore. Still the show is great entertainment

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I loved it, weren't they fantastic in their lederhosen!! Now we should get the chefs to Morris Dance whilst prepping the food for the GBM.

12. The big Geordie with the horrible beard is a d1ckhead. The smaller old Barrovian is funnier and handier at cooking too. Altogether more entertaining than the awful Great British Menu, though

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The unconcealed hatred between Fort and Peyton, with Prue in between, perpetually rolling her eyes at them, is the best bit.

14. I had a look last night but probably won't b other again. I am so fed up with the staged bickering between contestants. JUST COOK. And for God's sake cook food that people might actually want to eat! I wouldn't have paid for a single one of those main courses. It was all just too cheffy and faffy - I am tired of towers and smears.
    Gosh, what a grumble so early in the day!

15. I love this show! I haven't actually watched any of it this year though...my plan is to catch up with it tonight!

16. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Why do they have to keep adding more 'layers' of flavour?
    That gold-medal effort last night - it had real potential! The idea was cute - and would look perfect at the banquet....and coffee is a favourite flavour for me...it would work well with the salted caramel...but that wasn.t enough!...No....the chef had to add biscuit and then olives...olives?...***?!...even putting aside my hatred of olives, it is one 'layer' too much!
    Less is definitely more!
    Should be fun tonight....the judges return!

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Deconstructed Eton Mess.

Grrrrrrrr.

18. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Well, what do we know, OW? [​IMG]

19. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Watched tonight's offering: pretty faffy cheffy dishes full of ingredients most wouldn't eat (heart is just NO!) but perfect mindless entertainment.

Miss W and I enjoyed the Hairy Bikers too.

And tomorrow I shall watch Saturday kitchen with James and enjoy the eye candy!

20. Was that the episode in Austria? I caught that one and the kids were howling with laughter at the way they were pronouncing German. Evil things, my kids.
    We do bake our cakes in that strange shaped tin though.