1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The grass is greener!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by ILoveTeaching, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ILoveTeaching

ILoveTeaching New commenter

<font size="2">I spent years at a school with a
    "behaviour system" but it was so inconsistently applied that the
    behaviour of pupils was terrible. I managed to get on top of it in my lessons,
    but felt very let down by the majority of staff that seemed to just want to be popular
    with the kids.</font>

<font size="2">To define terrible
    behaviour....pupils could tell you to "f*** off" and be in your
    lesson the next day with no sanctions at all.
    Pupils could square up to teachers and have no consequences. Verbal abuse was a daily thing. The pupil
    would come into your lesson the next day and laugh at you because they had got
    away with it. I spent years thinking about moving school and was told by so
    many people that "all schools are the same" "the grass is not
    greener" etc. I stayed at the school too long and am now quite bitter
    about it.</font>

<font size="2">I moved
    to a new school in September and was very picky about which one. The new school
    is amazing. No swearing at staff, no mobile phones in lessons, uniform is
    mostly sorted, homework is done every week! THE GRASS IS GREENER. If your
    school is full of terrible behaviour and lazy teachers, move to a new
    school...it was a hassle applying for a new job, but I just wish I had done it
    3 years ago! Go for it...you too could have an enjoyable job again. [​IMG]</font>

2. ILoveTeaching

ILoveTeaching New commenter

<font size="2">I spent years at a school with a
    "behaviour system" but it was so inconsistently applied that the
    behaviour of pupils was terrible. I managed to get on top of it in my lessons,
    but felt very let down by the majority of staff that seemed to just want to be popular
    with the kids.</font>

<font size="2">To define terrible
    behaviour....pupils could tell you to "f*** off" and be in your
    lesson the next day with no sanctions at all.
    Pupils could square up to teachers and have no consequences. Verbal abuse was a daily thing. The pupil
    would come into your lesson the next day and laugh at you because they had got
    away with it. I spent years thinking about moving school and was told by so
    many people that "all schools are the same" "the grass is not
    greener" etc. I stayed at the school too long and am now quite bitter
    about it.</font>

<font size="2">I moved
    to a new school in September and was very picky about which one. The new school
    is amazing. No swearing at staff, no mobile phones in lessons, uniform is
    mostly sorted, homework is done every week! THE GRASS IS GREENER. If your
    school is full of terrible behaviour and lazy teachers, move to a new
    school...it was a hassle applying for a new job, but I just wish I had done it
    3 years ago! Go for it...you too could have an enjoyable job again. [​IMG]</font>

3. MisterW

MisterW New commenter

Good for you!
    I think as a classroom teacher you have to distinguish between what is your responsibility and what is the responsibility of the school manangement. It sounds as if the management had established perfectly sensible systems of sanctions but then simply stood by and allowed staff to ignore their instructions and allowed a culture of passivity to develop.
    The role of SMT is to provide the conditions in which you can do your job effectively, which is to teach. They didn't do this, so you went somewhere where they did. There is a crisis I think in educational leadership and management in this country which means stories like yours are all too common.

4. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Tonight I read my diaries of my time working in an ineffective inner-city school. The job I have now in a rural comp is entirely different. You don't get the 3/4 drop out of NQTs from the effective schools. Well done on the move.