1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The governor's blog: Why heads need friends, not critics

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 26, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I agree.
    In my direct experience, some governors misunderstand their role and are not sure of the differences between strategy and operational activities.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As a head who once had a governor involved in my performance review saying in front of the whole governing body "You meeting your targets doesn't mean you get a pay rise - it means you get to keep your job", you'll excuse my cynicism about the role of governors.

4. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

1. Can you be friends with your boss?
    I think you could easily substitute the word governor for head and the word head teacher for teacher. Do teachers come to work intending to do a bad job? Would teachers be able to do their job better with encouragement?
    I guess the answer to question 1 is different for all. Can the head be friends to all staff? Can staff be friends with the head? Can governors be friends with the head? Do you want to be friends with your governors?
    I think the bottom line is this. There is not enough genuine encouragement in the profession - whether from the governors, head teacher, teachers. We could all do with encouragement alongside challenge.

There are good governors and there are bad governors. The problem is it is an unpaid position and many governors have their own gender based on there own life experiences or jobs. As a governor I used to find it really strange that people who knew nothing about the way teaching worked were in charge? They do not have the expertise to run the school on a day to day basis. So what is their role? TO CHALLENGE AND ENCOURAGE . They are there just to ask questions. It is the head teacher and the teachers jobs to run the school. If the governors know this then they are far more effective. The head needs to train the governors and a relationship has to be forged between the two. Let it be a relationship built on challenge and ENCOURAGEMENT - but not necessarily friendship.

Keighleigh likes this.
  5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I assume you meant 'agenda' there...

6. Futureleader

Yes. I think they also have a gender too!!

7. Futureleader

"I'll get by with a little help from my friends" Wet Wet Wet

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I have no qualms about reminding them of the differences

digoryvenn likes this.
  9. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

My lack of experience has really hindered me here but that is beginning to change!