1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The governor's blog: Why heads need friends, not critics

Discussion in 'Governors' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 25, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I agree.
    I think governors should think very carefully about their professional relationship with the headteacher. I have had personal experience of governors not understanding their role and making my role more difficult and more stressful.
    I don't think that many governors have the relevant experience in order to consider the wellbeing of the headteacher; well, not in my case anyway.

3. revstevew

revstevew New commenter

I disagree to an extent. Whilst I fully support our current Head and staff and get on well with them, we as Governors are there to oversee their conduct and the running of the school. If there is a problem we as Governors are ultimately accountable and it can be hard to, if necessary, discipline someone who has seen you as a friend. I'm not saying the relationship should be confrontational, but it is based around challenge, are we improving, is that the best use of money etc.

Heads and Governors should of course have a good working relationship, nothing is gained by antagonising one another, but a friendship is too strong. We are the people who employ you, and ultimately can fire you, and the sense of betrayal if a friend does that would be more damaging than needed. I don't go to staff socials, I attend retirements in an official capacity, and I may attend the Christmas do for an hour as a matter of courtesy, but then let people get on with enjoying themselves.