1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Government traveller quarantine scheme - another Tory farce?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Is it, really, worth anything, esp. now at the current stage of the pandemic? Or is it just yet another Johnson farce which makes us look ridiculous in the eyes of the world? Look at this (from the pro-Government DM):

[​IMG]

2. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

At least it is clear why it has not been introduced earlier. If that is quarantine then we have all been in quarantine for the past 10 weeks!

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  3. Morninglover

If I were coming back to the UK from abroad (& I'm in the UK and won't be going abroad anytime soon), I'd quite happily tell them my address, smile & nod politely - and carry on once at home just how I'm living now. I can't see how they'd ever find out.

N.B. We - like many people these days - don't have a landline. So any phone calls to check up on me will go to my mobile...;)

sodalime likes this.
  4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I think threats are much closer to home than passengers travelling in to UK from countries where at least there's an indication that things are improving.

[​IMG]

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Three months ago - probably worth it

Now - no

They really don't know what to do.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

By the way the quarantine was forced through without a vote.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I agree it is somewhat late in the day but surely with all the hysteria around such a move would be more supported?

Remember London (Heathrow) is one of the major flight exchange hubs and arguably used much, much more for short stopovers and such. This will stop many coming here more than have them go in quarantine.

Then please, no more lecturing of those who likewise challenge the rules.

Oscillatingass and Kandahar like this.
  8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

A voté was not needed as the Coronavirus Act covered it.

Kandahar likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I know - but a vote would have been interesting though.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  10. LondonCanary

But you did just say above that you would break strict rules if they inconvenienced you.

Oscillatingass and Kandahar like this.
  11. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Temper.

install likes this.
  12. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

From the title of the thread, I thought you were talking about this.

13. Morninglover

Not temper.

14. Morninglover

if you read the details I posted in post 1, you'll see the rules of the quarantine are far from "strict". Unlike those in operation at he time Cummings took a little jolly to his parents (apparently illegal) spare cottage.

ajrowing likes this.
  15. LondonCanary

OK. I'll issue a correction

But you did just say above that you would break quarentine rules if they inconvenienced you.

16. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

How likely is it that the UK will be on the top of anyone's must-visit places this year ? If I were living elsewhere and wanting a break I wouldn't be revising the English for
    "soziale Distanzierung " .
    Returning Brits eager to be ' safely at home once more ' ? Nah, not that either.

Jamvic and sodalime like this.
  17. LondonCanary

Unlikely if everywhere is closed. That said, beach was nice this week.

18. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

This.

Jamvic likes this.
  19. baitranger

baitranger Senior commenter

Another problem with the UK "Quarantine" system is that there's virtually no control over people once they are in the country. Proper quarantines abroad keep people indoors and isolated from the general population, under guard , so they can't go out and infect others. In the UK they'll be able to go shopping. It's not "strict".

20. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

It's almost as if Terry Thomas was standing at the airport asking people if " you'd mind awfully staying at home old chap, very kind of you old bean , what ?"
    Good old British values are rather pleasant but not what's needed right now. upload_2020-6-4_10-39-59.jpeg