1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Global Warming talks in Paris.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bluelemonade, Dec 12, 2015.

1. bluelemonade

bluelemonade Occasional commenter

I might have well have labelled this thread " King Canute" but given I have a brother very senior in the Met Office, I decided he did not deserve that title.

The summit cannot guarantee any results, and it is just big business, and perhaps a global distraction on a " fond" issue, whilst in fact have you heard much about the global economy recentl?. A few persons in suits cannot dictate the weather, and when we have floods, they are not "evidence" of anything except it has rained a lot.

England certainly cannot support solar power, maybe some wave, but it's trifling. Here at bat towers, I am re-assured by my massive fireplace, but if you think a meeting in Paris is going to stop the Maldives from flooding, you may need to think again, whilst lapping up this propaganda. I have had the conversations and looked up the data.

2. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Even if we halted all emissions NOW, I personally think that we would comfortably hit 1.5.C warming or higher just from the delay in the system.

The only way we will avoid irreversible (at least over many millennia) climate change is to get developing effective carbon sequestration technology fast! To be fair this was alluded to I believe in the agreement but time is running out!

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Ten years ago, people were still arguing over what was even then, obvious science. Now people pretty much accept the science and we have moved on to finding ways of mitigating the damage that our warming climate will do.

It will be fairly grim at times and in some places, but the future is not totally bleak. Hopefully, the time wasted having to spell it out to some people, will not bite us too hard.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  4. bluelemonade

I agree whether you are a sceptic or boffin, the writing is on the wall, however, which is that wall?

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's a political deal between 200 odd nations?

How effective is it really going to be?

Just too cynical Lanokia...

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. bluelemonade

Now that's just silly ( sorry GDOW) pics of ducks make not difference. I am sure you think you are doing your bit, but you need to spend a few days in London.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It's a slow process but keeps going in the same direction, such is the case for science that many people don't like I suppose.

I did read where there were more nations represented than at first expected and more senior people attending than first anticipated due to a show of solidarity with France after the Paris shootings. So maybe oil fuelled terrorism could have a part to play in its own downfall.

9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Any agreement is progress. Better to take small steps than spend all day arguing that that the leap is impossible.