1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Sparky1985, Nov 21, 2010.

1. So basically everyone I know raves about this book says I have to read it blah blah.
    I am about 100 pages in and to get to that pt has been oh so hard and through sheer determination to see the book through. I am not enjoying it and have yet to find one sliver of this "amazingness" everyone is going on about?
    Am I lacking in taste? Has anyone else found this book hard and somewhat boring?

2. So basically everyone I know raves about this book says I have to read it blah blah.
    I am about 100 pages in and to get to that pt has been oh so hard and through sheer determination to see the book through. I am not enjoying it and have yet to find one sliver of this "amazingness" everyone is going on about?
    Am I lacking in taste? Has anyone else found this book hard and somewhat boring?

3. Kimmy85

Kimmy85 New commenter

no, the first 100 pages or so are hard going...but it will be worth it

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Stick with it . . . you'll soon get to the point where you can't put it down!

5. I gave up after some graphic sexual content made me question a) the author's motivation for writing such graphic nastiness and b) my reasons for reading it. I came to the conclusion that the author had a warped imagination and that I didn't want to participate in his grubby world anymore.
    Maybe if I'd stuck with it I'd have been gripped but I doubt it.

6. Ive just finished the first 2 books of the Millenium trilogy and I too felt uncomfortable with his style of writing and language. But then I thought the style was in context with the characters and setting so it doesnt worry me so much now.
    As all Millenium fans know, Steig Larsson was a journalist who campaigned against all sorts of people who commit heinous crimes against humankind: neo- nazi violence against immigrants etc, human traffickers etc.
    Therefore, I think, if you read the books bearing in mind his preoccupation with these issues, which are practically on our doorsteps and are so real, you should be able to empathise with Salander and others more so.
    But his books do make people feel uncomfortable and so do these issues but unfortunately they are there.
    Stick it out and think about the story more than the style of language. Well that's my bit. Now to start on the 3rd book.
    I cant put these books down.

7. Finished it this morning and so glad I stuck with it- got to a pt where I could do nothing but read it... I was obsessed. Very good. Will def read the 2nd but not right away. Need a break from it

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Told you so!

9. Just finished the third book in the Millennium trilogy.
    It was hard slog and I was disappointed after the intrigue in the first two. Was anyone else disappointed?
    Now I am to start on Any Human Heart on my kindle, of course.

10. karentee

karentee New commenter

I've just started it, it was a present and I feel I ahve to give it a go, but like has been said I am almost 100 pages in and it's dire. Really find it hard to imagine that it's going anywhere very much, i have a chick lit book sitting waiting for me to read, think I'm going to have to give up this time.

11. impis

impis New commenter

Sorry, but a book has to 'grab' me right from the start for me to enjoy it. I only read a few pages - no where near 100 and found it impossible to continue.
    I'll just have to watch the film i guess.

12. Despite the dialogues being a bit stilted (as has been mentioned, journo style) I devoured them. The kind of books more interesting because of the plot than style but enjoyable nontheless.
    Having said that, I read them all on the bus on the way to work, so only in small stints at a time.

13. I thought the first book was excellent but things went badly downhill from then on. Has anyone seen the films? I haven't seen any and wonder if it is worthwhile if you have already read the book.

14. I have seen the first two films. I thought the first one was really good and they pretty much stuck to the way it was in the book, which I found impressive. The second one was not as good as the first but still entertaining. Sadly, because of the way cinemas are run here (at the moment), we didn't manage to see the third because it was only shown for a few days!

I'd say give the first film a go and see if you like it. Then go from there!

15. ljr

ljr New commenter

I really loved the books & was a little concerned that the films wouldn't be as good - obviously as the books are so long not everything can be put into the film, but I thought that they were really well done. I saw the last one yesterday evening & it was the best of all. I am glad that I read the books first, but the films just added to my enjoyment. I saw the 2nd one on DVD & it was quite good being able to listen to it in English & not have to concentrate on the sub titles, but the sub titles didn't spoil it for the other two films. I really recommend them, I can't see how the Steven Spielberg version can be better - I don't think I will want to see it when it is finished.

16. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I have read all three books and watched the first one on DVD last weekend. We chose to watch in Swedish with subtitles and I think it was good to hear the cadence of the Swedish language, I don't find subtitles interfere with the enjoyment. I thought most of the characters in the film looked exactly how I imagined them from the book especially Blomkvist.

There was quite a bit cut from the film - there was no reference to Blomkvist's relationship with Berger which is quite a significant part of the trilogy or to his fling with Cecilia which was not so important. It would have been a long film if they didn't make cuts though.

I'm looking forward to seeing the other two now.

17. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

I really enjoyed the first book and am now about 1/3 of the way through the second one which I am not finding quite as gripping. As ever, i am glad that I read the book before seeing the film as it sounds as though have have made a few significant cuts.

18. I haven't watched the films, simply for the reason that every trailer or stillshot I have seen did not match up with my mental image of Lisbeth.
    I was wondering after my recent post - perhaps in Swedish the language is not so stilted and the translation into English is just lacking in conveying the exact mood of the novels?

19. I found the second the most hard going. The police guys got on my blinking boobies for a start.
    And then the totally strange conversations and "hints".
    Berger gave Blomkvist a sharp look. Blomkvist paused and thought about what to say. Blubanski noticed the altercation but refrained from mentioning...

20. I enjoyed the first one, found the second one less entertaining and gave up on the third.
    We bought the first for my elderly mother in law, completely forgetting about all the sex and violence - she's never commented on it, but I can't imagine she will have approved.
    I found the third book really confusing - too many characters and sometimes I just lost track of what was going on. I seem to have very poor concentration these days.