1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The 'Get it off your chest over a glass of wine thread'.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nick909, Sep 21, 2010.

1. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again...
    GUIDED READING ! Why Why why - its the emperors new clothes

and
    Learning Intentions stuck in books ( so Mr Ofsted can read them)

[​IMG]

2. zannar

zannar New commenter

Totally agree

3. thanks Zannar - I often feel like a lone voice when sounding off about Guided reading.

4. No wine at the moment as about to drive for two hours.

Marking - I know it needs doing, and I do actually think it's important, but I can't do it all! I really just can't fit it in. I'm marking at school, marking at home, marking at weekends whilst partner drives wherever we're going. I can't do it all!!!

5. Harchie...my guided reading, which we have to do everyday for half an hour - involves the children reading a book...yes a whole book - one they have chosen in silence for 20 minutes then talking to their friend about it. Or me reading our class book.,.. I chose carefully and they are engrossed by it then we talk about it.
    I don't do guided reading planning....I don't do silly activities that take me weeks to plan or carousel of activites that are complicated and confusing for the children - but the progress my class made in reading was the best in the school - average 6 points progress!!! I am in year 6.
    By the end of the year my class can tell you a few books that they have enjoyed and authors they like. I actually enjoy that half hour of peace.... but I keep this a secret....!!!

6. And yes, I know a lot of quick marking tricks, but unfortunately I have 60 Big Writes a week to "deep mark", action marking for at least 50% of the other lessons, and other expectations that impeed me...

7. As a NQT feeling completely stressed out and (not) looking forward to another weekend of marking books and planning and just basically panicking about all I haven't done for Monday....reading all your posts has made me feel so much better! I'm glad to know it's not just me, although I was hoping that the first year would be the worst and then it would start getting better/easier...not so sure now!!

8. Sounds blissful NQT 2004
    In my school we have to have the silly carousel of activities. SMT come in on 'errands' but really to check that EVERY group is maximising every minute of curriculum time. Our guided reading planning has sent to the deputy head by Monday morning where it is routinely scrutinised to make sure that the correct AF levels have been assigned to all the key questions and that the right key questions are directed at the APP child(ren) in the group.
    Guided reading folders are taken in without warning nearly every half term by the head, who looks through the APP sheets to check that no oportuniies have been missed to 'plug the gaps'.

And this is guided reading. You can imagine what the happens with maths and literacy!!

The result? Stressed out, exhausted and depressed staff (oh a 3ed sentence!!) and stressed out kids who hate reading and have no time to breathe, let alone consolidate anything they have learned because they too busy being dragged on to the next learning objective

9. Brilliant! Exactly how I feel too.
    Nice white open. Thank goodness it's Friday!

10. Blimey. Where to start? The child who wet herself today after asking me (2 mins in after lunch). I told her (as always) that Y4 should remember to go at lunch and to ask again in 5 mins if she was desperate. 15 mins later. Puddle. Man. She told dad she'd asked me several times so now very aggressive father (note in file to advise us not to meet with him on our own) is coming in Monday am for a 'chat'.

Or maybe the child who drew deliberately on the back of another child's coat with marker pen at lunch. Sociopath? No remorse, very open and eager to confess. No comprehension of consequences.

Or the masses of paperwork and data analysis I have to do this weekend. Every child but 8 on an intervention and not enough time to do them in.

Phew. Sparkling mojito for me, followed by an amaretto on the rocks and a Chinese take-away.

Kate x

11. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Happy weekend all!
    I keep threatening to make and wear a badge that says ' i am a teacher, not a nurse, doctor, dentist, hairdresser, shoe mender or lost property finder'.

12. zannar

zannar New commenter

Parents If you allow your YR3 child to talk on facebook, have a computer, TV, mobile phone etc in his bedroom It is your fault he is yawning all day and has no energy to participate and do any work. It is not because the work is difficult/he doesn't understand/he maybe has SEN/ or my lessons are boring.
    HT: I know I should annotate planning, fill in Guided Reading and guided writing sheets, have detailed daily plans etc, etc. The only question I ask is why don't you when you are teaching?
    Politicians: Give us a break, what do you want us to teach and are we going to hear some time soon or have to spend next summer holidays trying to get our heads around it?

13. Second LARGE glass of rose. It is Friday night after all.
    Couldn't agree more! Ridiculous expectations and excessive monitoring of planning, teaching and books (our planning was marked - yes MARKED! - before being handed back. Red pen and everything!), crazy guided reading carousels and failing ICT systems, APPs, AFs, WALTs, WILFs, WAGOLLs.... We're three weeks in, I'm knackered, and my new class don't know whether they're coming or going. My timetable has 5 different sessions booked in to the 90 minutes between playtime and lunch, ranging from VCOP activities to a full numeracy lesson. We just about have time to get the books out and write the date and then it's on to the next session. Books are due in next week and there's nothing there. I need this half term to train them, let them know there is life beyond the sand tray, and show them how to put the lids on felt tips properly.
    AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!

14. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I do find this thread deeply worrying. Almost every HT seems to be starting conversations with "When Ofsted come they will want to see...."
    And the hour between 9 and 10 seems to be filled with ridiculous carousels of handwritng/guided reading/phonics/supersonic writing *** which would be much better addressed with some simple whole class literacy work.
    Little Miss Curious I agree wholeheartedly with your musings and feel that you may be The One to carry on the Crown of Contempt when I retire (Euro Millions, make it this weekend, pleeze...)
    Anyway, my main thought is.... the whole thing is getting really, really silly now. Every time the HT comes near me, the sentence starts with, "When Ofsted come....."
    All this **** is so they can protect their own pay rises, nothing more, nothing less.Don't ever forget that.

I think I feel yet another letter to Mr Gove coming on. He needs to know what is happening in schools right now......

15. lardylegs

apologies for a leetle repetition within that last post, unfortunately there has been a leetle repetition of red wine intake this evening....

16. lardylegs

I forgot to mention today's Moan - the MFL Moan!!!
    Apparently one's French accent is not authentic enough, because the kiddies are going home singing songs and saying French phrases which do not sound like what they hear en vacances this summer....." Amethyst is coming home with completely incorrect pronunciation of 'jaune'....."

17. manic28

manic28 New commenter

OMG Lardylegs! Shame on you. think about poor Amethysts future. Ruined.

At least it won't be like mine. Imagine 'Bonjour, je m'appelle Amethyst. J'habite en Angleterre', but in a scouse accent. The poor French won't know what's hit them.

18. manic28

manic28 New commenter

I missed an apostrophe...I know.

19. Nodding in agreement at every post.

I love this thread!!! :D

20. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

Sunday...attempting to do some work this afternoon so I can down a glass or 2 of Rioja tonight, to ease the way back into the craziness of Monday-to-Friday.
    HT- Why are we strictly forbidden to use TAs to do anything other than work with children? Do you really think the one designated person can complete all the mounting, laminating, photocopying, labelling, and display work for the entire school (9 classes plus foundation stage)? No, of course you don't think any such thing, so what you really want is for teachers to do it ourselves, which is why most of my walls are still bare.
    And if you'd like to tell me how I can coach/demonstrate good practice to other teachers to justify my price tag, nay existence, without any cover being provided, I'd be interested to hear it.
    That'll do for now... I'll be back!