1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The 'Get it off your chest over a glass of wine thread'.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nick909, Sep 21, 2010.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

2 and half weeks in? Honeymoon period over? Some children still making your day as difficult as they possibly can?
    Open an bottle of wine, and whilst drinking your first glass, get it all off your chest on this thread. Feel free to tell us what you're drinking as well. Then finish the bottle off in the bath or in front of some drivel on the box, with your mind clear. Open to teetotallers as well of course.
    Go!

2. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I'm not a wine drinker myself so i'll start off with a Dr Pepper before moving on to a bottle of Sol.
    It is been a pretty good start to the year on the whole. Still tired of course and trying to make myself go to bed earlier.
    The only really annoying thing is the demands to set targets that I feel are forced. The head has certain percentages that they want us to meet for the end of year SATs so he basically asked us to make sure our targets fit in with them. I have some L3 workers in y2 who finished Y5 as 3a. They of course have a long way to go to get to L5. Not that the head cares too much about that of course. As long as the numbers are met . . . . blah blah blah. I'll give him my targets as I see fit. If they don't meet his criteria then he can just get grumpy.

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Ooh yes of course, meant to say that pressures, unrealistic demands and deadlines from SLT are fair game for the thread as well. Nice one Milgod.
    I'm having an good start as well to be honest. Will be a tiring year though, with this potty lot. I echo Milgod's complaints about unrealistic targets though. My current lot have had two poor successive years, the first through dreadful teaching, the second through major bahaviour disruption (the culprits being still there, but managing to cope at the moment). So the Y6 teacher and I have been told that we've got to make sure they make an entire Key Stage worth of progress in two years, or Ofsted will come sniffing. And they'll all probably blame us and stick pins in us if they do. So, um, thanks a lot.
    On that basis, I'm having a glass of Rioja.

4. zannar

zannar New commenter

Glass of hubby's homemade vino while moaning about parents who think I should do 1-1 all day and forget the other 24 children, those who moan about reading levels but never hear the darlings read at home and being asked to fit even more into the already overcrowded school day. Harvest and Christmas I am deliberately pushing to the back of my mind until next week.[​IMG]

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Just a nice soothing cuppa while I say:
    It's my department; I know what I'm doing; I'll do it my way. That's what they pay me for.

Thank you. That feels better already.

6. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!
    *kids
    *parents
    *SMT!
    Nuff said.

7. What an excellent excuse to open a bottle! I'm drinking a cheap red wine that we got free with our last take away.

My biggest annoyance is the group of 5 boys in my class who think they can do as they like, when they like and look at me as though I've got the problem when I tell them they can't! We are wasting too much time having to deal with their disruptions and most of it isn't the sort that can be just ignored (even when I try one of the other kids announces it to the class so then it interrupts the lesson anyway!)
    Second on my list is parents. Why can you never please them all? I send a piece of (differentiated) homework and some will say it's not enough, some will say it was too hard and some will say the children shouldn't have to do homework anyway. I think I shall just learn to accept that I will never please everyone so to just do what I know is best!

8. Glass of cava:
    Parents- I know what I'm doing, I've been doing it long enough. I know how to differentiate work, set numeracy, literacy and reading groups. Trust me, your child is getting work at their own level that they are able to do. If your child misbehaves, I'll be firm but fair but they can't get away with it. It's not fair to the other 25 children who are behaving and getting on with their work. Don't complain, it is my job! If your child didn't go around shouting, hitting others etc they wouldn't get into trouble. I appreciate that your child is your main concern, but they are also mine, please remember that. I do my best!
    Rant over!

9. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

If I started I would never stop, so its a cuppa for me too.

I HATE tuesdays with a passion. Staff Meeting night. Go home demoralised with a job list longer than your arm night. Third week in, and already we have an observation and two book scrutinies on the horizon. Year 1 don't have to record formally in maths yet, but can you see the head's face if I turn up to a scrutiny with nothing in the books??!!! They must sit in their offices and try hard to think of ways to make our lives a total misery. I feel exhausted mentally and physically, and the first person to mention the christmas play is getting my fury with both barrels.

10. zannar

zannar New commenter

Ditto and if you, as parents, don't like me tough - your children do! [​IMG]
    (Most parents are very appreciative thank goodness)

11. zannar

zannar New commenter

sorry quote from clatkiu1 didn't happen although did on my original message.[​IMG]

12. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Parents!!!! If you want a personal tutor for your child, you will have to pay for it. I cannot sit beside your darling in every lesson and read through instructions just for him, when I have already explained the task. Nor can I hear him read from his reading book every single day. I'm afraid I can't follow him around the playground either, to check that he is not being 'picked on'. The thing is, there are over 20 other children in the class, and I'm paid to teach them too.
    Teachers!!! I don't CARE what you've bleeding laminated for MFL, unless you are going to give me a copy. Nor am I interested in hearing how Miranda uses an empty numberline to bridge through 10s. I just want to eat my cheese roll in peace and talk about shoes.
    HT!!! No, I can't give you any levels yet, I am still muddling up their names. No, I don't have targets displayed on my wall. Why would I do that? And no, I don't want to take on a project about Community Cohesion. Thanks - but no thanks.
    Children!!! I am hear to teach you. If you want to learn, start listening, I am not prepared to explain everything seven times. I am not from the circus, I won't be doing tricks. No, we won't be watching DVDs. Also, I find it hard to care how many days it is until your birthday. I will, however, help you dispose of any leftover cake.

13. On internship.
    Drinking- well, some nights- a glass or two of rose.
    Eating- far too many chocolate eclairs.
    Complaint: I cannot seem to manage my year 6 class. Its my first time with year 6, and I did really well on all my others prac's. This time I have issues with talking. Not just one or two kids...all of them! I get them to shutup- by waiting, looking at my watch, glaring, shouting, pointing the most chatty ones out, pointing the quietest ones out, clicking my fingers for them to copy, etc... and then 5 minutes later they have started again! Or I turn away to do something and it starts! OR whilst we wait for a student/s students to walk out the front to prsent it starts again! AND then it begins all again- the talking!
    I only teach them 2/3 of the day and the middle session (maths) are fine- it's the afternoons that are the problem. Every day I go home with a sore throat. I am female witha fairly quiet voice, which is really hard. I am not totally up front with my metor as I don't want her to know how bad it is and I get worry I will get teary if she discusses it with me- she is very strict and they all behave perfectly for her.
    HELP please?

14. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Why oh why did I issue the fatal words last term that my new class might be quite nice because they had nice parents. Nice middleclass parents = spoilt brats that have never had no said to them, to go with the other half of my usual problem kids. This is the worst class I have taught. This week I have been sworn at, kicked, bitten and head butted by a class of 3 year olds. Ofsted is due any day and to think we intially wanted it over and done with as soon as possible this half term. Now I am praying they dont come for another few week when I may have had chance to tame these wild animals.
    Re impending ofsted= doom and gloom head, hyperactive over monitoring 5/6 times a day and normal class obs on top.
    New dictats everyday about what he wants on the learning walls
    Impossible deadlines
    One way Good Will which guess what aint the heads.
    At least I quite like most of the kids this week, last week I thought it was the first class in a 20 year career that I wasnt going to like.
    As for drink, a cup of tea will have to do as it is something dear daughter can do for me as I am collapsed in a heap on the sofa having never been as exhasted as I have with this class. Arguementative son has just been informed that as I have been kicked and bitten today, it really isnt the day to get on the wrong side of me. Funny how he has made himself scarce.

15. KS3 behavioural teacher here, so here goes for venting;
    1. Doing all of the planning for every single secondary subject because I'm the only secondary teacher, and I get to teach them all day every day for every subject.
    2. People thinking that doing the above is easy, 'because you only have a few students', without thinking that, actually, the amount of planning is exactly the same regardless.
    3. Dealing with behaviour every day that is beyond anything I ever thought I'd experience.
    4. People thinking that doing the above is easy, because 'you only have a few students'... :)
    5. Oh, and Ofsted soon. Yay!
    Now where are the beverages... :)

S.

16. ARGH! just ARGH!
    new class, few lovely ones, few live wires who will be fine in a few weeks and a few complete nightmares for several reasons, mostly not their fault but ARGH!
    it's only september but new initatives are now starting - i wouldn't mind too much but surely it would have been best to implement these from the BEGINNING of the year instead of having to change 3 weeks in?! ARGH.
    general staffroom bitching, moaning and rumour mongering. ARGH.
    just......ARGH.
    (ha - now there's a good first post, I do actually enjoy my job most days!)

17. poet

poet New commenter

Can i drink vodka mid-week??
    I don't understand how much pressure i seem to be under already. I've calculated and recalculated all projections which are RIDICULOUS and involve making children move between 3-6 sublevels by May when some of them only moved 1 in the last two years. They are still not enough for SLT and i'm being asked to perform miracles - again.
    THAT annoys me soooo much too!!!! WHy do you, SLT, consistently take the pi$$ and leave the hardest work for the year 6 teachers. We're working ourselves into the ground already - you've approached us to run booster clubs and saturday school in week 3 - WEEK 3!! When do I get to have a life??

18. poet

poet New commenter

Try not to panic dude - it's only week3! My year 6's are very very VERY chatty too and i've been doing this lark for going on 7 years now. At the moment, the only thing that works other than everything you're doing is putting up a timer on the interactive whiteboard, i start it while i wait and they pay me back the time at break. If they work beautifully, they can earn the time back. Afternoons are tricky - have you tried giving them a quick brain break/fresh air break? Mine struggle to get through to 3.30 - you are not alone and you're doing all the right things!!
    Also - have another think about talking to your mentor - perhaps ask if you can observe her/another teacher and focus on BManagement strategies that you can steal? I know you think she's super strict (and she may be) but don't underestimate the fact that the children also know her - they know her expectations and the boundaries. They will push you until they know yours, be consistent, firm and fair.
    Good Luck! P

19. kimatham

kimatham New commenter

Large Glass of red.....
    Third week as Head of Year and now have an official complaint by parent at my being threatening towards their little precious!
    No problem when said child was in my maths group last year. He is a sensitive thing, but the allegations are ridiculous. What can I do?

20. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

Lardylegs I love you!!!
    Parents - We have extra staff in the playground doing behaviour management to make sure he's not being picked on. No, if he didn't tell the teacher / go to the first aid station, he won't have had his graze cleaned up.
    Actually if your little angel would spend less time telling me how she thinks things should be done, saying 'My Grandma's a head teacher and she says...' and a bit more time following the learning objective I've put on the board and demonstrated,she would do a lot better.
    No she didn't get full marks because I asked her to use the cursive writing she's been practising (even though she says she can already do it) and she deliberately printed because you said it didn't matter so long as it was neat!
    Yes I know you get his books out for him at home but actually I'm encouraging the children to be independent and get their own books out of their bags. If he/she doesn't I may not get round to hearing them read.
    Does getting paid a bit extra mean there are more hours in the day? If you don't give me extra time I can't do everything you have put on my list and I can't meet with staff unless we are BOTH off.
    Children I don't care if last year you had a fluffy dog to take home if you were good - in my class it's a badger puppet. Nor that you watched DVDs on Tuesdays and Thursdays nor that In Y1 you got a worker of the day present every day. Strangely enough, if I give you homework I do expect it to come back done and not practising your spellings WILL mean you get low marks in the test so it's no use crying about it. No I'm not cross with you - it's your choice.
    Apart from that, the class is beginning to settle in, and now there are only 3 staff off instead of 5, so things must be looking up.