1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Future of Programming

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by 10101010, Apr 14, 2008.

1. coronel,

Post a fake email address and I'll send you an idiot's guide to sarcasm. I've finished with it now but you really need it.

2. cj3

cj3

Come on - lets get back on topic - let's construct a programming curriculum Year 7 - Year 11. Bearing in mind lack of staff expertise in programming - how would it look? How would you build progression and cater for huge ability range?

3. Just thought you might want to do this questionnaire if you can find time http://www.e-skills.com/cgi-bin/go.pl/newsletters/busines... it will give you an opportunity to raise the profile of programming if you want.

If we look back to how we learnt programming it was most likely through games so I think that's the best way to teach it. I think web techniques like PHP, dot Net and Javascript are good for demonstrating simple procedures.

Andrea Jones

4. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Where programming is taught in education, it absolutely makes a mockery of the whole process, in my experience - 2 sons plus I did HND programming following existing guidelines.

The Pete's Petrol Pumps project makes my blood boil. All that paperwork and ridiculous answering of questions that will form the exam next week, all over a trivial piece of programming.

If programming is top be taught, then it should be taught for a longer time to a higher level of proficiency so taht students can be jusdged on their actual solution, rather than obscure, irritating paper waffle.

I suspect there are very few teachers who can program well, that is the problem.

5. Having teachers like johnbrown is a major part of the problem, but schools seem to feel more comfortable with the half ***** approach to ICT teaching.

But the real world of ICT teaching needs to think what it is we want to achieve. Logo and the broader vision of Papert is still a useful starting point.

The ability to explore has be submerged by the most prescriptive nonsense where many of us more competent programmers learned precisely by exploring, finding out how to make things happen on home computers (and the Uni Appllo whose operating system was several times the size of the available memory.

Beyond that, what learning is served by learning programming? Teaching it badly is worse than not teaching it and, with ICT being seen as a refuge for those students unlikely to get a GCSE in more traditional subjects, it is probably targeting the wrong group. Good programmers are very secure in maths where most ICT is very weak in it.

6. Hi group

I'm doing some research into alternative ways to teach programming. If anyone here has taught a class Alice I'd be very grateful if you could post how you feel the software performed as a way of teaching programming

Thanks in advance
    Kirna

7. cj3

cj3

gregfly - I am doing some research in games authoring/programming so was interested to read that you are doing research into diff ways of teaching programming. Would this be at a secondary level by any chance? What resources do you use? My email is cj3cj3cj3 at hotmail dot com if you want to discuss this off forum.

8. The Computing at School group are giving this a go. It's not easy, though there are similar models that already exist .... e.g. ACM: http://www.csta.acm.org/Curriculum/sub/ACMK12CSModel.html
    If you want to contribute to the CAS group take alook at http://www.computingatschool.org.uk

9. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

Had a look at the website. Mostly good. But, as for Alice, Greenfoot and VB - forget them in my opinion. Use Scratch for younger pupils and Python for A level. See the tiobe.com site for trends.