1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The future of AST's

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jen g, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Do you think there is a future for them or do you think they will be phased out?

2. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Do you think there is a future for them or do you think they will be phased out?

3. Did they do any good? If not, they will be scrapped.

4. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

I think it depends on what they were asked to do

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Don't see the logic there - OfSTED and SATs are both still there. The ones that fell away did so for reasons of cost rather than lack of any good they did. Good stuff (eg some aspects of Numeracy strategy) were discontinued/neglected/tinkered with to destruction.

6. Funding for existing ASTs is secured for the next year or two anyway and as far as I know it will continue to exist. I believe the legal documentation around the role has the position very well protected for those existing AST's.

However, what the government is talking about is a new 'AST' so instead of having lead teachers, excellent teachers, AST's etc, there will just be one title for all. I will imagine it will have a separate pay spine (possibly not as good as the current AST pay spine) and different standards will be drawn up. At the National AST conference in July of this year, people were being encouraged to apply for the position.