1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘The free market works for sausages, but not for the supply of teachers and school leaders’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 8, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Now I want sausages.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Can't get those sausages round here!
    Market fail - or more likely a market too small to be predictable, so it doesn't happen.
    The articles not really about the market, it's about the critical importance of training middle leaders.
    Looking back on my career, a lack of training after I became a head of department was a contributing factor to my professional becalm-ment. I'm not sure how I could have got round it though other than dragging my new family around the country in search of professional challenge.
    This reflects on the dark side to NTS placements, people will be expected, to move around the country, only able to have families if they are subservient to their uncertain careers.
    As for work-life balance, what chance if you never get to stay anywhere long enough to make friends outside your job?

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Not convinced that the free market really works. Often ask for things sold elsewhere to be told that there is no market for them here. In a lot of cases it results in poorer quality products and services becoming the norm.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

A free market only actually works if consumers have a choice to buy or not to buy at all (e.g. you might want a new telly, but you're not obliged to buy one).

'Consumers' have no choice about state education (and most can't opt for private, because they can't afford it). It's why the 'free market' has gone so disastrously wrong with energy firms - they know they have us over a barrel.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Who would want to be a HOD English or Maths?
    No fancy academy speak title will hide the drudgery of the role in some schools.

7. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

The National Teaching Service is going to implode on itself rather quickly when people realise it a shortsighted con.

Take staff who are still fairly inexperienced (only 3 years in the job), 'train' them to be middle leaders (trained by who?), then dump them into schools that can't find their own middle leaders, presumably without really giving them a say..

Why not look at why these schools are not able to source and employ their own staff? Simple, because there are so many problems in the communities and estates that they draw from that no-one in their right mind would choose to work there. The solution is not to dupe staff under the pretense of career development or whatever line they trot out. That's how you rapidly burn out the willing staff you actually have left.

phlogiston likes this.