1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The forgotten workforce

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by notreallyme75, Jul 19, 2020.

1. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 Occasional commenter

At the end of term, SLT bought gifts for every member of staff who had been working in school.
    This was a really nice gesture... but what of those working from home through no fault of their own? There were lots of them.
    The oversight was mentioned and ignored, and term has now ended. anyone else think this is a bit off?

2. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

Nope. As a member of staff who's been going in, I have spent money on petrol whereas people who have stayed at home have saved money on petrol. I have been doing the job of 2 people all throughout lockdown and I have done so much more work than people who ha e stayed at home, I think it's completely fair enough that people at school get a gift.

3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I’m guessing the whole purpose of the gesture was to thank the people who had worked to keep the school open.

4. notreallyme75

Which the people at home also did.

rolysol, bombaysapphire and steely1 like this.
  5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

It was a gesture of thanks to a specific group of people. Some people were not included in that specific group, and so were not included in the gesture. Thats life. We can't all go around never thanking anyone in case there are other people that feel left out of not being thanked! Where would it end!

6. notreallyme75

I can only speak on behalf of those in my workplace, but know that those working from home have worked equally as hard, in very challenging circumstances, And we’re not able to come in through no fault of their own.

slstrong123, strawbs and steely1 like this.
  7. notreallyme75

I think if the entire workforce are being thanked, to exclude those unable to actually attend the work place on ill health grounds but have contributed significantly from home is a little off.

bombaysapphire and strawbs like this.
  8. notreallyme75

I also think the point is missed slightly... they deserve thanks just as the rest of the staff do.

9. Corvuscorax

yes, so do the cleaners, so do the bus drivers that brought those staff in, or the petrol station staff where they filled up, so do the people in the street outside wearinng masks and socially distancing to help keep infection rates down, so do the contributers on here who offer their resoures for free, so the weather foreasters that made planning the day easier.....

everybody deserves thanks.

This particular thanks was for this particular team.

We've all been busting a gut. We have all been thanked or appreicated by some managers, students or parents, in some big or small way, and not by others.It is not something many adults feel is necessery to keep any sort of score over. It si nice when you are included in thanks, and it doesn't atter when you are not. At time when you are included in thanks or appreciation, there will always be others who are not, possibly more deserving others. Thats life, like Iv said.

10. Corvuscorax

You are making something over nothing

DYNAMO67, mothorchid and Pomza like this.
  11. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

I guess they could have not given gifts to anyone. How would they have got these gifts to those at home? Hand delivered? Expensive postage? During lockdown, I did my share on a rota with key worker children. Since the children have been back, so have I. I can say from experience that, although I had to prepare work, videos, mark and make phone calls from home, the workload is higher in work. Added to that is the knowledge that you are putting yourself potentially in position where you could catch Covid albeit a slight danger. Whilst I feel for people who are vulnerable and can’t work, I would (even if I was one of those at home) just view this as a nice gesture.

Pomza and celago22 like this.
  12. celago22

I'm sure you have worked hard and deserve a thank you gift. However the people in school have had to deal with the daily grind, the tiredness, the children's behaviour, the expense of getting into school, getting up early. It has been shattering. I've been in school and still had to plan for 2 year groups at the weekend plus work in the evenings to catch up on my emails. People at my school who have been working from home have been able to get up at 10am, go for their daily exercise and respond to their emails whenever they like. People in school have done more work than those at home, in my own experience.

13. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

My personal view, which I know won’t be shared by all, is that those teachers and support staff who continued going in to school throughout lockdown, putting themselves at risk by doing so, have made the greatest contribution. Sounds like this particular SLT agree.

14. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

upload_2020-7-19_9-11-45.png

Not entirely sure how you arrive at this notion? Surely, if all staff were at home, schools couldn't have remained open at all?

celago22 likes this.
  15. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Agree 100%.

16. celago22

Completely agree aswell. Couldn't have said it better myself!!

Pomza likes this.
  17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Just a question, I really don't know the answer, but did these hero teachers who went in to school volunteer to be the ones who went in and put themselves at risk? Or were they just directed to come in by their headteacher?

18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Exactly.

Pomza likes this.
  19. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I don't think it matters as anyone directed to go in could have avoided doing so if they had wished (though morally and legally this would have been questionable - but it was an option).

20. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm only asking because some may think it does make a difference. So what was the answer for your school - volunteers or directed?