1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"the force of gravity does not depend on mass"..

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by briancant, Apr 10, 2019.

1. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

On the top of page 147 of the Pearson Year 1/AS Statistics and Mechanics text book it states;

As the force of gravity does not depend on mass, this means that in a vacuum an apple and a feather would both accelerate downwards at the same rate.

What do you make of the first part of this statement?

nomad likes this.
  2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Oh dear!

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

4. BG54

BG54 New commenter

I'm sure the alert student will see that the book contradicts itself on p162, W = mg. ;-)

5. hert0677

hert0677 New commenter

In a vacuum the feather would get sucked upwards and the apple would never fit through the nozzle. Pearson haven't thought that through :)

Flanks and Informant like this.
  6. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Considering what Pearson charge for their books it is a poor show.

Would you be happier if the words 'force of' were replaced by the 'acceleration due to' ?

nomad likes this.
  7. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Their books have lots of errors in the answers. Perhaps given the need to create new books for the new specifications, in a short time, that is understandable.
    This however is a massive conceptual error that indicates that the person who wrote it doesn't understand the topic.

8. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I quite agree. However I have never come across a mathematics text book that does not have at least one error. Often you can imagine that the typsetters simply did not understand if the source meant S or 5, for example.

Maybe, I am more concerned with collating a set of corrections so that can be used for future reference.

I ask students to write notes about these things or corrections in pen in books. Exedcel have a habit of producing newer corrected editions of the textbook that look almost identical to the previous run.

9. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Dear Mr Pearson,

According to Newton's law of gravitation the gravitational force is given by:

F = (GMm)/r^2

Since gravitational force does not depend on mass, please can you explain what M and m represent in this equation.

Regards

nomad likes this.