1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Football Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

As much as I enjoy playing Fantasy Football, it really doesn't come close to the Fantasy game Stateside.

As for females, not sure why they wouldn't enjoy playing (or be able to play just as much). I guess @aspensquiver_2 doesn't have much experience of going to watch football if she thinks women aren't fans.

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

We go with what we know... FPL is enough for me! A friend who lives in Germany does the European league ones as well, which I can't quite cope with.
    Coming up in the summer is the European Championship one. Slightly different rules, as it doesn't last as long, but fun and a good introduction to the whole thing. If anyone's up for doing that in June for a laugh, I can set one up. If people like it, we could do a proper league in August?

3. emilystrange

AAGGHH> Vardy gets himself sent off!

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yes.

5. Flere-Imsaho

I had forgotten how much I hate the Old Firm hype.
    Day of destiny, indeed. Bah.

6. emilystrange

i know. they've made it ridiculous.

7. Flere-Imsaho

Crazy. It was a clear dive.

8. emilystrange

good job he wasn't my captain.

9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

We've got a proper TES league! I've been in it for 3 years and was top, last time I bothered to look! There's about 15 people playing.

A European Cup one would be good though.

10. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Cockwomble! He's one of mine - though mercifully not my captain either!

11. emilystrange

I vaguely remember someone saying about the TES league! I'm in next year, don't let me forget.
    If FIFA do a cup one, will let you know

12. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

As a matter of fact I like football and have been to many matches. OH is a season ticket holder. But the fantasy stuff - OH plays too - is rubbish.

13. Flere-Imsaho

I would do a Euros one. I lose track of week to week leagues over a season but I could manage a short tournament!

emilystrange likes this.
  14. aspensquiver_2

"...was top, last time I bothered to look!"
    So what is the point?? My opinion seems to be spot on. Lol

15. aspensquiver_2

"I lose track..." Riiiight. More evidence of the sheer pointlessness of such an activity.

16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Massive point for Leicester. 8 point gap much better than 7. Means three wins min needed rather than two and a draw plus goal difference for spurs.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  17. emilystrange

Assuming Spurs win them all. The run in doesn't look hard, but banana skins aren't always easy to avoid. Leicester's looks harder, on paper. They both have to play Chelsea, if that matters.

18. emilystrange

It was most entertaining in the World Cup as you could change your team much more often, plus it was simpler to follow. no time for all the extras in the FPL. Learning about the other countries' players was an eyeopener!

We also did the under 21's Euros, last year. No one had a clue :D

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  19. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

A 7-0 thumping in the end. Sunderland went to pieces late in the second half when they went 3-0 down to a penalty and a sending off and then the wheels fell off completely; but Arsenal weren't looking very clever when they had a player sent off in the first half.

The referee was a twot, Leah Williamson was back to her best and we're off to Wemberley!

[​IMG]

20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

First time I got to see Leicester. They were very panicky, lots of diving, shoving, play acting and timewasting. Still want to see them win it but if they carry on this way they will indeed lose more free kicks and penalties. Vardy's dive on a yellow now means he may be out of the next two games - good example of someone playing on too much nervous energy.