1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Football Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Mar 29, 2016.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Just don't see it myself.

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

All the best to our poch. The players have spoken of him with fondness and respect.

I hope mourinho doesn't denature our lovely club by going against its academy tradition.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

They haven't played like it for several months

nizebaby likes this.
  4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think I can see where Spurs are going with this.

While always having a tradition of wanting to play attractive football, Spurs have not - like rivals West Ham - been willing to accept that route normally means finishing around the top ten and going out of the FA cup in a 4-3 thriller.

If Mourinho starts winning things the fans will soon forgive him for the endless 1-0 wins.

5. Scintillant

And he's won things everywhere he's been. Even with that hapless collection at Man Utd.

dumpty likes this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

When Chelsea sacked him the second time, the fans were singing his name at the next games, and booing the players whom they felt had brought about his demise.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Will we all be picking Spurs players in our Fantasy Football teams yet ?

8. Scintillant

Players used to do anything for a manager they respected. Listen to the way ex-Derby and Forest players talk about Clough for example. The Derby players even went on strike when he left after taking them to the first division title. Nowadays, they seem to down tools and give up until they get their way. Probably the worst aspect of the modern game for me. I can't understand anyone playing a competitive game in front of lots of people, for large sums of money and not doing their absolute best.

9. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

100% agree.

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

In Mourinho's first stint at Chelsea, he had players who would have done anything for him: Terry, Drogba & Lampard in particular - the spine of the team, along with Coles & Cech.

In his second term, the team was more a collection of talented individuals. There was a different ethos. And with Moutinho there can only be one person in charge.

I think Lampard is beginning to build the team ethos once again, especially with his use of ex-academy players who have been at Chelsea for many years - not to mention his own status at the club.

Scintillant likes this.
  11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Only a gut feeling but I think he is going to do it (Mourinho) and be successful - getting the trophies the fans desperately want.

Why? Well no-one can question his record and yet he felt (perhaps rightly) he was disrespected at Man Utd and so, rather like Boris, this could be Mourinho's Hulk time.

He is angry and has a point to prove and I feel a bit sorry for the first team that plays against Spurs under the Hulk.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I think it might have the opposite reaction.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  13. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Good grief! Supporting Chelsea is taking years off my life this season. I don't do stress.
    But it's such fun watching them......I think!
    What a crazy game v Valencia tonight.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Yes - but I will need to replace Abraham now in my FF team.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How did Germany, France and Portugal end up in one group for the Euros ?, it's ridiculous.

Some of the other groups look really potentially exciting.....not.

peter12171 likes this.
  16. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Well, there’s always one group known as the group of death!

But how that happened I have no idea.

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

We missed him yesterday. The team played as if he was in the pitch, putting the ball into the box from wide, or chipping it forward for him to run on to and control.....forgetting it was Giroud, who doesn't move.

But, still had enough chances to win it in first 25 minutes which we failed to take. A reality check.

18. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

I hope you FFers are keeping an eye on the transfer market and the fact that there's a double GW coming up.

19. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Already planning for it. I have 3 Liverpool players in my team

20. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

I have two, but that can change

Jesmond12 likes this.