1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Football Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

A fair point but after what happened to Bury, the EFL will bend over backwards to keep Bolton alive which might mean playing fast and loose with the rules. They have already got an extra two weeks to sort out their ownership and although they are relying on youth players they are still fulfilling their fixtures. I suspect Bolton will survive though relegation is nailed on.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

My home town team (Scarborough) went under after dropping out of the league some years ago now - they eventually re-formed and are slowly working their way back although I doubt they will ever be a league club again.

I feel for Bury - all the footy I see is League 1 and 2 and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I remember seeing Bury last year at Cambridge - they looked a very decent side - such a shame.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It’s always sad to see a football club go under. They are - whether people like football or not - centres for the community and something that a community can get behind (often seen when lower league clubs do well in the FA Cup; where is the support the rest of the year?).

Living a long way away from my main team, I adopted a second, non-league team, a few years ago. They went under during the summer, but a new club has been formed and they started this season a couple of divisions lower. I feel so sorry fo the Bury fans.

Something is rotten in the sport of football, but it doesn’t look like anybody has the guts to do anything about it.

Oscillatingass and Jesmond12 like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The money at the top needs to be re-distributed.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

6. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Oh yes the redistribution of wealth idea. It has brought happiness and prosperity for all wherever it has been tried so why not give it a go in Professional football?

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I worry about the future of Lower League Football - the team I support in League two have pretty significant debts. They only carry them because they have an owner with very deep pockets and a real love of the club.