1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Football Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

upload_2019-6-24_12-25-55.png

VAR is for clear and obvious errors.

This certainly isn't that.

The "backpass" is at 10-15 seconds. The player is trying to take the pace off the ball. You can tell by the way she chases her bad first touch. Certainly not a backpass. There's a reason you never see free kicks from that distance in the men's game - no one tries a backpass there.

You can see why the players were annoyed, but you just have to get on with it.

As for the bad tackle at the end. I can't see the fuss. It's not like women aren't allowed to put in a bad tackle is it?

2. Scintillant

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@coffeekid. That is HILARIOUS! Makes me want to teach primary PE again!

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

And for the fans. The supposed buy out does not seem to be happening, odds on we will be relegated this season.

Benitez has been brilliant for Newcastle. He gave supporters hope and pride at a moment when they had none & they responded in kind. The sad thing is that he recognised things in the club which the current regime simply won’t - potential, ambition, possibility.

ilovesooty likes this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I do feel for you - the fans appreciated him as a manager despite the ups and downs, and that doesn't happen often these days.

I'm wondering if he's Stamford Bridge bound (again)?
    Rumours re Lampard seem to have dried up, and no other names have been banded about.
    It was very sour last time Benitez was there, because of circumstances, not least because he replaced Roberto de Matteo, a club legend who had led us to Champions' League victory before being culled, as well as the bad blood from his time as Liverpool manager.
    But that's some years ago now.....

Good luck - I don't know who'd want to manage NU. Being Chelsea manager is a poisoned chalice, but at least they have a huge squad of players, loanees and academy starlets to draw from, plus an owner who does put in money.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

The list of possible candidates is depressing.

8. Scintillant

[​IMG]

This is another of the contentious decisions. The player top of screen doesn't receive the ball, instead it goes to the central player, who scores. As the top player is "not interfering" the goal stands.

To my mind that is farcical and would drive me nuts if I was defending. If the top defender has stepped up a yard and left the top attacker in an offside position, why on Earth should the team be penalised?
    There is absolutely no way that the top attacker is not interfering with play. If the defender were half a yard back and level with the attacker, the ball could be slipped inside for the attacker to get a strike on goal.

The attacker is even clearly asking for the ball and that is interfering with play by any definition. As a defender you have to cover that.

Shambolic.

Jesmond12 and cassandramark2 like this.
  9. Scintillant

The talk about the game last night as if it was world war three reminded me of a couple of old-fashioned tackles from back in the day. No surprises Fashanu and Jones involved.

Love Motson's understatement: "Jones caught him there!"

peter12171 and cassandramark2 like this.
  10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I think it's shocking. Ashley couldn't care less about a great club and sadly I agree relegation might well be the result.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  11. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

Having just noticed the ‘Good Read’ thread, I was reminded of one of my favourite books.
    ‘A Season With Verona’ by Tim Parks.
    An entertaining read for football fans in the summer holiday.

Scintillant likes this.
  12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Well played, England.

13. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Franny Benali...a legend on the South Coast. Not the greatest of players, but always gave his all for the team :D

Scintillant likes this.
  14. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Message from emilystrange:

FPL is up and running again if anyone wants to join.
    Emily is running the league as usual.

(I haven’t the faintest idea what this meanso_O)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Jesmond12 and Scintillant like this.
  15. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Has Emily left the TES?

16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Three wonderful goals, especially Bronze's net-buster.
    A little lucky not to concede, losing the ball too often with misplaced passes, and faffing around with it at the back when just clearing your lines would have been the better option.
    But a confident performance.
    And what a difference from the previous game, with very little fouling (until late in the second half) and a referee in control.

Jesmond12 and ilovesooty like this.
  17. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Pass it on that I will be rejoining and send her my regards.

18. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Completely agree Chelsea. I said the same after the Japan game.

I have really started to enjoy this tournament. The quarter finals have been very good and this France v USA game is a cracker.
    England will have to improve their defensive play if they are to progress to the final.

coffeekid likes this.
  19. ilovesooty

I can't see a code for joining . Can you @Jesmond12 ?

20. ilovesooty

I can't see England beating the USA.

coffeekid likes this.