1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Football Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Mar 29, 2016.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Cambridge usually go and play a number of pre-season friendlies against local non-league teams. I might go and watch one or two.

After Liverpool's great season I fear they might not actually win anything. They did well to win last night though.

Can't see them getting past Barcelona - they rested most of their first team last night.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Actually Messi is a nice bloke - one of the Cambridge United fans was very badly injured in a brawl in Southend after a game a couple of years ago. He suffered brain injuries and will need constant medical care. The club raised some money but lots of current players contributed things to raise money for the family. I think Messi sent in some signed shirts and a ball signed by the whole Barcelona Team.

3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

It was a fantastic game even though we lost. However, the free kick for that last goal was a joke and it should never have been awarded.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Didn't stop us at the Aviva before we saw that Stockdale had dropped to ball.

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Today has been a good day! :D:cool:

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

No it hasn't - Sarri might be back as manager next season

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Yes, I'm not over-enamoured with him as a manager - but who else would be available and want to take up the poisoned chalice which is Chelsea management?

Apart from Mourinho......

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The championship play-offs should be good - 4 very good teams.

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Not yet.

And I worry (as - you may have gathered - he is my Chelsea icon, along with Zola) that, despite his provenance and legendary status at the club, he will be chewed up and spat out like all Chelsea managers seem to be over the last 15 years. (I fear that will happen to Solskjaer at Man Utd, too.)

Fans and (especially) owners seem to want instant success, even while they are baying for their own academy players to be played, and don't recognise that clubs have to go through cycles of dismantling & rebuilding during which success is unlikely.

I'm not a great Sarri fan, but to finish in the top 4, to get to the Carabao Cup final (and lose it in bizarre circumstances) and at least the Europa Cup semi-final - with a good chance of winning it - is not bad for a first season in charge.

After all, only one team can win the Premier League each year.

11. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Frank Lampard has done a decent job with Derby but managing a Championship team and a Premiership top echelon side is light years different even if he is a former player. He wouldn't last a season. He needs to stick with Derby and earn his stripes before considering one of the Premiership big boys.

ilovesooty and chelsea2 like this.
  12. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Yes, but it is possible!

(Sorry, just an excuse to praise Nuno Espiritu Santu's achievements with long floundering Wolves. Here he is receiving his honorary doctorate from Wolves Uni!)

[​IMG]

ilovesooty and chelsea2 like this.
  13. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

It’s also quite unusual for a former player at a club to do a hood job as a manager of that club; often they disappoint. Not impossible, but unusual.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Fantastic game tonight.

High intensity and very tense. Both sides played well and really put a shift in.

A stunning winner from Kompany. As he was breaking through the middle, I shouted not to hit it and waste possession but he smashed it right in the top corner. A great moment.

cassandramark2, ilovesooty and vannie like this.
  15. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

Captain Kompany. City legend. I’m so happy for him that I actually cried:)

ilovesooty, vannie and Scintillant like this.
  16. vannie

vannie Star commenter

That was a very tense evening. They say the Etihad is quiet. Not tonight.What a goal. What a legend.

ilovesooty and cassandramark2 like this.
  17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Me too
    I was there :D
    Someone near me yelled "Vinny don't do it" just before the goal went in.

vannie and cassandramark2 like this.
  18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Liverpool 4 - Barcelona 3
    WOW!
    Well done Liverpool.
    Listening to 'You'll never walk alone' makes the hairs rise on the back of your neck.

Jesmond12, Sally006 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  19. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

:D :D :D

minnie me and Oscillatingass like this.
  20. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Absolutely incredible game. I still cant believe it.

Dragonlady30, minnie me and Jesmond12 like this.