1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Football Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Wrexham and Solihull Moors both staying in The National league for another year.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I don't understand the National League Playoffs at all.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Looks like Notts County are going down - who would have thought it.

Still could be worse....you could be a Bolton fan.

4. Oscillatingass

County just scored a pen and with Macclesfield losing County are hanging on. Of course much can change in the next 30 minutes.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Macclesfield have equalised against Cambridge - we've been useless all season long.

6. Oscillatingass

County now 2-1 down and going down.....to the National league

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Such a shame really.

Scintillant likes this.
  8. Oscillatingass

There is life after the National League. Bristol Rovers are doing ok these days as are Lincoln. Orient are back in the FL after two seasons in the NL. Macclesfield go up and down like a yo yo. If a club is properly managed both off and on the pitch they will rise again though it may take longer than one season.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Generally speaking though - once a team drops out they rarely get back.

10. Oscillatingass

Not true. A small number of former FL teams have been in the National League for longer than two seasons but an even smaller number have ceased to exist in the aftermath of relegation. Boston spring to mind. Stockport have just got back into the National League though York remain in the National League North. I believe your very own Cambridge have had a stint in the NL.

11. Oscillatingass

Just looked at the top ten finishers in League Two: seven of them have spent time in the National League. Fourteen out of the twenty four teams in League Two are ex National Leaguers.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Cambridge had a long spell in the NL

Scarborough went bust when we got knocked out of the league.

It was a miracle we ever got league status in the first place.

13. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Maybe we could do with more people going and supporting non-league clubs. You still get entertaining games, although without the skill, and at a much reduced price. Over the years I’ve seen matches at Guiseley, North Ferriby, Eastleigh and Weymouth (probably a few others). So long as you accept the skill levels are lower, it’s still a good afternoon out.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  14. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I agree. I have seen Chesterfield play a few times this season. After a shaky start and a change of manager the finished well.

Let’s hope that JohnSheridan can do well next season.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

After next season I'll be watching non league football in Cambridge.

I used to watch Halifax Town - they are on the way back as well.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm looking forward to seeing Plymouth, Scunthorpe and Bradford City next season - not seen those teams before (at least not recently)

17. Oscillatingass

Not that long ago that Bradford were in the Premiership. I wonder if they will end up in the National League?

18. Oscillatingass

Not sure about that. Halifax never really threaten the top half of the table. They could just as easily go the other way. But hey we'll see, that's the beauty of football.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They used to play on a Friday evening - I lived in Bradford at the time with a mate who was a Halifax fan so I kept being dragged to their ground to watch them.

I think they were still a league club then (mid 80s).

20. Oscillatingass

As I recall Halifax went out of the League and then got back in before falling through the trapdoor again in 2002.