1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Football Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Mar 29, 2016.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I was only kidding.

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Well done Ajax!!

chelsea2 likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Man Utd were shoddy last night. A gulf in ability between the two teams. Mctominay looks promising though.

They've got their work cut out at Old Trafford to get a side to challenge for titles in the near future without spending hundreds of millions more. Mourinho's second place finish and Europa League win seem a long way off right now.

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

WOW!
    What a game - Man City v Spurs.
    Only heard it on R5, but it sounded amazing!

Orkrider2 and Jesmond12 like this.
  5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I swear I had near death experiences about 12 times. What a game. Jeez.

6. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Gonna make Saturday interesting for us.

7. Scintillant

It was a very good, entertaining game.

Ruined by VAR though.

The goal off Lorente's hip came off his elbow first. VAR only showed the ref angles from the front where it was impossible to see. He threw his arms up in despair and gave the goal. On my American stream there was a view from behind where you could see the elbow touch clearly with the muscle contracting as the ball hit.

vannie, ilovesooty and cassandramark2 like this.
  8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'm gutted. I was in tears - firstly because I thought we were through and then because we weren't.

I'm dog sitting and waiting for my friend to get back from the Etihad... :(

vannie likes this.
  9. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

:(

A cruel ending to a nerve-wracking match. Our time will come, ILS.

ilovesooty and vannie like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Love VAR

11. Scintillant

It works in some situations - clear errors. Others are still debatable - it just gives the ref a second, third and fourth look, which is good but the decision is still down to the ref's judgement. He got one wrong last night that changed the game.

What I don't like is the celebrations and then the subsequent ruling out of a goal. Soon you won't be able to celebrate for two minutes in some cases and that won't be a good thing.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I wouldn't have disallowed Spurs third goal last night.

13. Scintillant

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I would still have allowed it on the grounds that I really dislike Manchester City.

minnie me likes this.
  15. fraisier

fraisier Established commenter

Don't know if this has been mentioned on here but this is pretty WT.F... (is there a WT.F thread on here?)

Wayne Hennessey 'desperate' to learn about Nazis - Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson

[​IMG]
    Wayne Hennessey is pictured in an Instagram story making the alleged gesture

Crystal Palace goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey is "desperate" to learn about Adolf Hitler and World War Two after being accused of making a Nazi salute, says Eagles manager Roy Hodgson.

Hodgson says a lack of knowledge about the period could be "rife" in football.

However, the case was not proven after Hennessey told an FA panel he did not know what a Nazi salute was.

Of course, it’s such a tragically under-documented period of history, you have to feel sorry for the lad. One really needs to have done a PhD in history focusing intensely on mid-20th century European history to have heard about it. I mean, really, who’s heard of Hitler or the Nazis and who are these people? Only very brainy people no doubt know anything about such recondite dusty stuff.

I’m glad I was sitting when I read that, I think my derriere would have fallen to the floor otherwise.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

City v Spurs again in a few minutes.

Sat through yet another 0-0 Cambridge United Home game again yesterday - still the weather was nice,.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Given his age, I think it likely he would have studied WW2 in KS2 history, and again in KS3.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Oh dear

Didn't take United's new manager to start making stupid comments like the old one did it.

Players don't care about the club ? - not good Ollie - not good.

19. Scintillant

He's found out Mourinho was right.

They are no further on and have wasted even more money.

If I were a Man Utd fan, I'd be getting worried about entering a long period of mid-table obscurity. The writing has been on the wall for a while. The players are just not good enough. However, I'm not a Man Utd fan and find it hilarious.

20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I grew up in Yorkshire - every male child in school (and some of the girls) was a Leeds United fan and hated Manchester United (this was the 1970s)

I was a Chelsea fan of course but went along with the dislike of Manchester United, which has lasted to this day.