1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Football Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Mar 29, 2016.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Liverpool deserve to win a title - it's been a long time.

minnie me likes this.
  2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

My Dad had a season ticket many moons ago. I associate my childhood with the team and recall his moods depending on the result ! He died 11 years ago but I really would like them to win for him ?

Jesmond12 likes this.
  3. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Stuck on M6. Lovely end to a predictably pants afternoon.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

My late mother was a Liverpool fan. I've no idea why as she was an Eastender who had only ever been north of Watford on two occasions in her whole life, and neither of those was to visit Liverpool.

5. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Seconded - for different reasons!

vannie and cassandramark2 like this.
  6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

My dad introduced me to the pain of supporting NUFC. I remember the first match that he took me too. It was an evening game v Nottingham Forest and we drew 1-1. Sadly I don’t think that we will ever win anything in my lifetime but if we ever do then I will look up to heaven and just say “at long last”.

7. vannie

vannie Star commenter

My mum loved City. I once took her- city v Charlton it was. We won 5-0 and she was on her feet shouting ‘we want 6!’... bonkers about football she was. She died in 2012 so us winning the premier league that year was huge for me. In truth I wouldn’t be too upset at not winning this year. It all depends on whoever blinks first now. It’s exciting at least.

8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Funny how we always remember the first game which made us support a particular club.

Mine was the Chelsea - Leeds FA Cup Final in 1970. I hated Leeds (filthy foulers!), so whoever they had played I would have wanted to win. It happened to be Chelsea, and a lifetime of roller-coasting love was born. Must be one of the most dramatic finals ever - fouls, replay & extra time, with Chelsea squeaking an unexpected win. And then winning the European Cup-Winners' Cup the following year.

It was very much an armchair affair until I retired and had the time to actually go and watch. Now, I go to all the home games I can, and it's still a bitter-sweet roller-coaster.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've been a Chelsea fan for many years but I've never been to a game at the Bridge and doubt I ever will.

Three years ago I went to a Cambridge United game and I've been going regularly ever since (I have a season ticket this year). I also go to a few games at Peterborough and the building site which is the ground at Stevenage. I really enjoy lower league football - it isn't expensive and the atmosphere is always friendly. I've never seen any crowd trouble and never felt threatened in any way and that's fine by me.

Despite the rubbish we have been served up with this season we will survive I suspect and so I will renew my (very good value) season ticket.

Scintillant likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I may have a premier league club within range next season so who knows I might see a couple of games.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Only three more games for me before the end of the season.

Roll on pre-season friendlies.

12. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

Born in Southampton so had no choice but to support them. When I moved to East Yorkshire it was too far to get to many games so I adopted a second team. It couldn’t be Hull as there was too much chance of conflict so I went for a local non-league team, North Ferriby. Greatest achievement was winning the FA Trophy in 2015 (the last time I actually saw them was he semi-final second leg, which went to extra time and penalties). Unfortunately it has been downhill since then, resulting in the club being wound up a few weeks ago.

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It is only a matter of time before a current league club will be wound up.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Will United do it this evening ?

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Never seen any at Chelsea, either.

I particularly remember a couple of seasons ago, we lost a home game against a team we 'should' beat (I think it was Southampton). As we headed for the tube at the end, a group of S'ton fans were loudly singing for their team; a group of Chelsea fans replied in kind, and so on. It was clear that the two groups were getting closer and closer to each other as we moved forward. Eventually, they met....cue back-slapping and hand-shaking between both sets of fans.

Even the Chelsea - West Ham game a couple of weeks ago didn't seem to generate any trouble between fans.

It's always interesting when away fans share a tube carriage with Chelsea fans - I've never seen or heard any aggro.

That's how it should be.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Leeds?

17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Linfield have won the silverware again.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Norwich City

racroesus likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Is that Gaelic football or Hurling ? - a game with no rules which is only slightly less violent than Rollerball.

racroesus likes this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Linfield.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linfield_F.C.
    You may have heard of their manager David Healy.