1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Football Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Mar 29, 2016.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The drug use has subsequently blighted his whole life.

Not one of my favourite players.

2. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

A classic case of the flawed genius, of which there have been many in football. George Best and his drinking; the same with Paul Gascoigne. Thierry Henry will always have the shadow of that handball against him, and Zidane the headbutt World Cup final. Beckham had his moment with a silly flick of his foot that got him sent off against Argentina. There are many others; few seem to escape.

Of course it also happens in other sports and other walks of life.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, virtually all players cheat. Maradona hardly ever cheated. You have to balance these things up. I'd rather play against someone like that who doesn't try to get you booked or sent off in every game. He was the best player to ever walk on a football pitch and I doubt there'll be anyone who comes close. Certainly no one who won't dive.

He was a footballer not a role model, but he played the game on his feet and fairly for the vast majority of his career.

4. Scintillant

The accountants, if they finish below second or don't win a trophy like the Europa League

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They make millions anyway

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

They will struggle to win the Europa League this season.

chelsea2 likes this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Here's a proper hero:

upload_2019-4-11_15-51-17.jpeg

Ossie

chelsea2 likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

..and a proper legend..

upload_2019-4-11_15-53-2.jpeg

chelsea2 likes this.
  9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Here's another (not that I'm biased or anything!).
    Top scorer - top guy.
    [​IMG]

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

While we're at it... upload_2019-4-11_17-20-19.jpeg

I think that's enough Chelsea Legends for one day.

chelsea2 likes this.
  11. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

So was Maradona never sent off?

12. Oscillatingass

In my opinion, to punch the ball into the net in a high profile World Cup match and then pretend you headed it trumps all the above. He will never be forgiven.

13. Scintillant

Yes, but he saved literally hundreds of opponents from bookings and red cards by staying on his feet.

He was notably sent off in the 1982 world cup after being kicked all over the place in a few games. In the ARG vs ITA game, Gentile man marked him to a ridiculous extent and fouled him 23 times. Gentile was never sent off in 550 games - the most amazing stat in football.

14. Oscillatingass

Ahh |Gentile, undisputed master of "the dark arts". Ramos runs him close but unlike Gentile he gets sent off.

15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Gary Lineker - never booked, let alone sent off.
    A cheat-free zone (by the definition of cheating which seems to be applied here)?

cissy3 likes this.
  16. Scintillant

Paulo Montero was right up there.

Used to love watching him on Football Italia

This one was a surprise. Something must have happened to wind them both up

17. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Ivor Broadis RIP.

I like the fact that he sold himself when he was manager of Carlisle.

Friday evening saw the passing of Newcastle United's oldest surviving player, former England international forward Ivor Broadis. He was 96.

Christened Ivan, the Londoner played in the 1954 World Cup finals as a Magpie, having first made his name during the war guesting for Spurs, Millwall and Carlisle while a serving officer in the RAF.

Becoming Carlisle boss in peacetime (following a wartime posting to Cumbria), Ivor sold himself to the mackems in 1949 for £18,000 claiming that it was in the best financial interests of the club.

His next port of call was Manchester City in 1951, then on to Gallowgate in 1953 for a £20,000 fee, debuting in a 1-3 loss at Sheffield United.

The first two of Ivor's 18 goals for the club in 51 competitive outings then arrived a week later, as Cardiff City were beaten 4-0 on Tyneside.

Omitted from the 1955 FA Cup final-winning team against his former side Manchester City, Broadis returned to Carlisle a matter of weeks later.

Ending his player career over the border for Queen of the South, he pursued a career as football journalist for many years after.

18. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Raheem Sterling is top of the league! Looking forward to seeing someone fall on their **** later.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You were saying ?

20. vannie

vannie Star commenter