1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Football Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Mar 29, 2016.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I hate VAR as well.

2. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

While I would not dispute Maradona's footballing ability, his blatant cheat in front of the whole world is impossible to overlook. He was also a drug cheat. When you think of someone like Pele or Cruyff you can only acknowledge their once in a generation genius but with Maradona there is always an unpleasant taste.

ilovesooty likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The second goal was decent!

Hard to think of many better.

That handball is about the only time I've seen Maradona "cheat". He never dived, he never made a meal of things. He used to get kicked to bits and just get up again, often just carrying on with the ball. He never went down unless there was no other option. Far and away the best attacking player I've ever seen. In a different league in terms of natural ability. He performed in almost every game he played and there's no player before or since that could simply carve teams open on his own, ghosting past world class players as if they weren't there, such were his pace, technique, strength and balance.

Just about my favourite football video:

4. Scintillant

You couldn't fill ten seconds with most footballers trying to stay on their feet

Maradona stopped hundreds of free kicks being awarded and players getting cards

5. Oscillatingass

Bless him. A great ambassador for fair play.

6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Well tonight it prevented Barcelona being denied a perfectly good goal.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  7. Scintillant

Well, there is years and years of evidence.

Compare him with the players throwing themselves about in the Man Utd vs Barcelona game. Going down without even a touch. Embarrassing.

8. Oscillatingass

Really? I thought VAR gave Barcelona the goal that had been disallowed.

9. Oscillatingass

There is no doubt that modern day players will do anything to gain an advantage. Maradona obviously was not like that....

10. Scintillant

He refused to go down.

One handball against a country that Argentina had fought a war against is pretty much it.

And years and years of the best talent you'll ever see on a football pitch.

Have a look at 1:35. He kicks the ball right up into the air, lets it come down and does it again and again. Absolutely unreal. Try doing it. Gary Lineker said it was the most amazing thing he'd seen. The last clip where he keeps hitting the posts is pretty amazing too.

11. Oscillatingass

As I said above, I don't dispute Maradona's footballing ability.

12. Scintillant

No but you're making out he's an horrendous cheat, which simply isn't true. He was often ruthlessly targeted - memorably by Gentile in the 1982 world cup and He would do his best not go down, thereby protecting opponents from yellow / red cards. That was highly unusual, even in the 80s and 90s

He was indestructible. And very brave. He just wouldn't be put on the floor.

13. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Read my comment again.

14. Oscillatingass

"you are making out he's a horrendous cheat" Yes I would say his cheat was horrendous and I suspect few England fans have ever forgiven him.

15. Oscillatingass

Humble apologies. Pure carelessness on my part.:)

16. Scintillant

Not that an Englishman would cheat.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Very weak performance by United last night.

Pogba has obviously downed tools and is waiting to move to Real Madrid in the Summer.

18. Scintillant

And still sixth in the league.

That second place Mourinho got out of them is looking like a real achievement now.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Is anyone missing Mourinho at Man United - I doubt it.

20. Oscillatingass

All players cheat unfortunately but Maradona will always be notorious for what he did that day. His genius will always be tainted. As I said above, the likes of Cruyff and Pele are universally admired but this is not the case with the Maradona. His use of performance enhancing drugs leading to him being sent home from the World Cup in 1996 is distasteful to say the least. He was also banned from all competitions for 15 months in 1991 because of drug use.