1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Flying Scotsman. Why?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumpydogwoman, Feb 25, 2016.

1. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's a train. An old train. Probably a really good train.

But there are photos and videos of it. Nice museum piece and all that. Triumph of British engineering. But.......

upload_2016-2-25_18-29-36.png

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

It's a classic. A reminder of times gone by. A proper train, not like our boring ones today.

delnon, lexus300, wanet and 1 other person like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

It's a locomotive (not a train!).... A famous one. An old one. Many find it beautiful.

You like dogs I believe...me, I prefer steam locomotives...

lexus300, monicabilongame and delnon like this.
  4. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Dear Alfred tried to book a trip on it but it is all sold out until the end of time.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Bdcause its a wonderful, awe inspiring piece of engineering majesty.

(there speaks an ex-train spotter)

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

A reminder of British engineering. A reminder of the days when skill was valued, when people could justifiably be proud of their work. A reminder of an era when the work people did served a purpose for the nation rather than a handful of capitalists.

Compare using skills that took years to acquire to sitting in a call centre, reading a script to people who don't want to know. Compare feeling you'd done a good job well and earned your pay fairly, to that of a job where the sole purpose is to make money by conning people into buying additional warranty for the TV they just bought

7. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Well said Duke

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Engineering needs to be seen in action to be really appreciated.

9. Duke of York

It needs to have been done, or at least attempted, to get the full picture.

The same is true of many things. We can all enjoy art, for example, but can we really appreciate it in its fullness unless we've picked up a brush and stood in front of an easel wondering where to start?

Can we appreciate great photographs unless we've snapped a few of our own and asked ourselves what the difference between our attempts and those of the great photographers was?

Engineers look at everyday objects in a different way to others, seeing through the aesthetic qualities the objects have, with an appreciation that those objects didn't become objects through the wave of a magic wand. A lot of processes and a lot of skill went into their manufacture, from the production of the raw materials, machining, moulding, finishing and so on. Engineers see flaws in objects that others miss. Engineers consider how those flaws could have been averted.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    wanet likes this.
  10. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

You know how you might like a Van Gogh on the wall but not Van Gogh in your house?

It's the same with 'Flying Scotsman'. You might like to see it steaming along but you wouldn't want it on your foot.

lexus300 and racroesus like this.
  11. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

And it was £450 a ticket.

12. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

But you only had to look at a Virgin engine and train and you'd get a free trip to the USA!

Spiritwalkerness likes this.
  13. Duke of York

Well there's no point in asking Van Gogh if he wants a drink, is there?

14. 9497

9497 New commenter

It cost 4.5 million to restore and much of it is new (not that much was left that dates from the 1930's) It cost less to build the similar locomotive Tornado completed in 2008.Take a look around and you will see there is still a lot of engineering excellence still around. There are at least 10 main line steam locomotives being built that will steam in the few years.

Flying Scotsman is the last surviving member of its class so is special but even I as someone who likes trains can't understand the fuss.

15. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

It was capitalists (much like yourself) who had it built for commercial reasons.

16. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

Am sure I used to catch the Flying Scotsman up to college in Newcastle upon Tyne in the late 70s/ early 80s. I remember being chatted up by the young lads working in the buffet carriage who would jump off the train onto the platform at Kings X to help me on with my luggage; they always asked if I was carrying the Crown Jewels.....can't think why!

17. Duke of York

Yes, Madge. Back in the day when capitalissts like myself saw there was virtue in treating people decently, treating them with respect and paying them more than the minimum wage. Do you honestly need me to give you a lecture on Sir Titas Salt? You do know you can google this stuff, don't you?

18. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

LOL. Usual fact free we were so rich in 1923 and now everyone is on a minimum wage.

19. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

£450 a ticket eh?

We went for a quick haul up and down the valley at Llangollen when it was a guest locomotive there some years ago. Cost us a few quid.

I'm no trainspotter but I prefer the sleek art deco lines of the record-breaking Mallard, currently residing in York Railway Museum.

[​IMG]

FrankWolley likes this.
  20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter