1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

the flowers of my childhood

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Sep 13, 2018.

1. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

They all bring back memories - and I wonder sometimes if my generation (the older generation) learnt to know the names of so many flowers because we were both encouraged to grow some in a patch of garden and because we spent a lot of time out playing in the countryside. What comes to my mind, in particular, is the banks of primroses that I used to see when we went to visit my Granny who lived in a village near to Bridport, Dorset. Even from the train, the banks on either side were filled with primroses.

2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Sweet William with its beautiful scent - yes, lovely. And this year, I think that it could be because of the drought, the flowers seem to have made up for it and some flowers that would have bloomed in the summer are blooming now: my tall campagna is out in flower now and roses that bloomed early and then stopped when we had the drought, are all out in flower as if they're making up for not flowering all through the summer. Even some spring primulas have started flowering already. I'll tell you if the daffodils show up. :)

install likes this.
  3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

As a kid I was intrigued by snapdragons, I used to pull off the heads and stage mock battles between "dragons".

It was probably a "boy" thing. :oops:

4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Jenny Greenteeth.

5. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

a few more for the list
    Brompton Stocks
    Carnations [spray]
    Pinks