1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

the flowers of my childhood

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Sep 13, 2018.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Just a list, really. Some are scented, others just pretty. Some have lovely names,

In no particular order:

Sweet peas
    Larkspurs
    Night-scented stocks
    Honeysuckle
    Lupins
    alyssum
    love-in-a-mist
    peonies
    bluebells
    snowdrops
    poppies
    tea roses
    bleeding hearts
    fritilĺaries
    It's not a complete list, but who cares? Please add to it!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

candytuft
    lavender
    delphiniums
    pinks
    columbines

frangipani123, Jamvic and nomad like this.
  3. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Weĺl, I hope that's reminded some of you of the beautiful sights, smells and bee-sounds of the gardens of our youth.

Jamvic, Lara mfl 05 and nomad like this.
  4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It has reminded me of my Dad proudly bringing in the first sweetpeas of the year and presenting them to my Mum. Large lump in throat.

5. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Phlox (sp?) was always a favourite. I have tried to grow it, but the snails always eat it before it flowers.

Jamvic, monicabilongame and nomad like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

My early childhood was spent living in a rural house which had a typical 'country cottage' garden at the front. There was a part-cemented low drystone wall with two gates which was home to both slow worms and nasturtiums living in the cracks and tall hollyhocks growing behind the walls.

I also remember the fiery crocosmia stems in the summer months. (It was inevitably sunny in my early memories).

Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Certainly, nasturtiums in our back garden. And lupins. I can’t grow lupins.

Jamvic likes this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Not so much flowers, but the general aroma of elder takes me straight back to childhood because we spent a lot of time rootling around in hedgerows.

Jamvic likes this.
  9. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

The ones that remind me of my younger childhood days are:

Hyacinthoides non-scripta -Bluebells - A beautiful, vast carpet of them every year in the woods across from our house. Mum used to pretend to be thrilled by the armfuls we brought home for her. Even though she knew they would be wilted and dead within the hour, even in water.

92D638F3-9CBA-436B-8867-0141E6190A41.jpeg

Galanthus - Snowdrops - first flower to appear in our front garden every year. A sure sign that my birthday was imminent.

57E25396-E9A1-4EEF-9340-831C6C05B628.jpeg

Leucanthemum vulgare - Oxeye Daisies (or as we called them Dog Daisies) Swaithes of them grew in the meadows and fields I used to play in at the bottom of our wood. Reminds me of lovely long summer days.

01F76172-183D-45FD-B53E-B87A9963F3F5.jpeg

Ranunculus acris - Buttercups - Vital childhood flower that you had to hold under your chin every year to make sure you still liked butter.

5188E70D-E1B2-4618-B576-587B3300D7E0.jpeg

Anthriscus sylvestris - Cow Parsley (or as we called it Mother-die) - Grew at the sides of the meadows and on sloping grass banks. Never to be picked under any circumstances as picking it was sure to bring catastrophe down upon your mother. I never quite believed this but was much too cautious a child to test the superstition.

B55F1E03-DFE0-445B-9104-375665339F75.jpeg

TCSC47 likes this.
  10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

michaelmas daisies and meadowsweet

Jamvic likes this.
  11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Dandelions. We had a back yard.

12. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

A most suitable place for them if you also had an outdoor backyard loo. We used to call them ‘wee the beds’. ****-in-the-beds was used by some of my friends but considered much too vulgar by my mum :D

BOTH NAMES for this plant are descriptive of its properties. Dandelion = dent de lion (French for lion's tooth) i.e. the jagged leaves; and ****-in-the-bed (the same in French, too: pissenlit) on account of its diuretic effects when eaten.

Dunteachin likes this.
  13. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

We didn't have all of those flowers in our garden!

14. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Primroses, wild and cowslips sorry no picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Found some.

Jamvic likes this.
  15. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Asters, dahlias, chrysanthemums, hydrangeas.

Jamvic likes this.
  16. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I recall my late Dad planting orange lilies in the garden sixty years ago. For him it was a reminder of his mother's garden in the west of Scotland. Later on, however, he told me that the presence of these flowers in an early twentieth century Scottish garden indicated a certain religious affiliation and was expected by local church elders.

JosieWhitehead and Jamvic like this.
  17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Bluebells for me, and those tiny blue flowers that grow in the grass. Oh, and clover. I wanted to call our daughter Clover but my husband vetoed it because of the margarine.

Jamvic likes this.
  18. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

And Lupins! LOVE them. I have loads in the garden and they're still producing new blooms even though it's like winter now.

JosieWhitehead and Jamvic like this.
  19. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

@coffeekid, could the tiny blue flowers have been speedwell?

20. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

A white lilac tree with an amazing scent. Forsythia, michaelmas daisies, golden rod, irises and sweet william.